Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,600   Online: 1131

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of things. I agree that a Hassy is a better camera, but I don't think that it is enough better to justify the additional cost of ownership. I have a Mamiya 645 and love it. The film is big enough to make very nice 16X20 prints, but I would certainly agree that the additional negative size of a 6X7 would be great. I also use a TLR to get my fix of 6X6 negatives.

I think that you should look at the way you intend to use it, I think that the Mamiya 645 Super or Pro work great for hand holding with the winder grip. The RB and RZ are awesome for tripod based work thanks to their rotating backs. I don't know the Bronica models as well, but they have a good reputation and are also available for a very low price right now.

Have fun!

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvik
    ...and have the option of choosing lenses from both Zeiss and Schneider.
    I have an assortment of Zeiss (Jena and Oberkochen) and Schneider MF and LF optics. Nice lenses all.

I also have an assortment of Fujinon MF and LF optics. I find myself choosing the Fujinon optics over the German ones most of the time.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for your feedback.

The work I mainly do is b&w but have recently gotten into E6 film a bit. I love old grain mills, historic buildings, people & animals in portraits, old vehicles, nature (tree roots, rocks), and some landscape.
    I use rather small apertures now, but am getting more and more into shooting with larger apertures. Less f/16, and more f/8 and f/5.6. With MF and LF I'm on a tripod all the time, I don't even leave home without it.
    I'm right now leaning towards Mamiya RB or RZ. I don't use the very largest apertures anyway.

Thanks again, everybody.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huggyviking
    Thanks to all for your feedback.

The work I mainly do is b&w but have recently gotten into E6 film a bit. I love old grain mills, historic buildings, people & animals in portraits, old vehicles, nature (tree roots, rocks), and some landscape.
    I use rather small apertures now, but am getting more and more into shooting with larger apertures. Less f/16, and more f/8 and f/5.6. With MF and LF I'm on a tripod all the time, I don't even leave home without it.
    I'm right now leaning towards Mamiya RB or RZ. I don't use the very largest apertures anyway.

Thanks again, everybody.

- Thom
    I think that for what your shooting, and the fact that you use a tripod and have shot Lf, you would be a pretty good candidate for The RB or RZ. My RB (WL finder) weighs about as much as my 4x5 Graphic, just as bulky in a different way, and "my" lens & boards don't weigh as much as the Mamiya lenses; Your milage may vary. The thing that I love about the camera is the rotatable back. I still use a handheld meter since I don't have a metered finder, and any bellows extension without the metered finder has to be compensated. A good tripod head is in order. Filters are larger, and thus more expensive. I use my 645 for more sightseeing things, walkabouts and when I want to take a smaller tripod for longer hiles. I think that what you may want to consider is comparing using a rollfilm back on a LF camera to buying another system. For what you will save you could have a decent vacation to shoot. If your the type to shoot 2 backs, and say a couple of lenses plus filters, finder or handheld meter, your kit is right up there with a small LF camera and accessories. What makes me like to use the RB is the right side up image and ability to move the camera in hand to see different framing options. Then it's just a case of placing the tripod and setting the camera. IF you do think that you may want to try the 67 Mamiya, really consider the RZ which has some better features, although a RB is a really handy tent stake pounding tool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll throw in my preference for the Fuji GX680 series cameras. I have the mark II version and I prefer it to my 500cm. With the extension rails and extended wide angle bellows I can get REALLY close to the subject and of course it does have movements (insert diparaging comparison to LF here). With the AA battery holder I have all the security I need that I'll be able to shoot wherever I go. It's not hand holdable, but if you are already using a tripod that won't be an issue. Used models and lenses are also a steal right now and the quality of the lenses is superb. I would recommend finding a shop where you can rent a couple of cameras before you buy. Good luck with your decision.

Peter
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll give another vote for the RB-67. I used to have one and traded it for a Hasselblad 500cm. Not that the Hasselblad is a bad camera at all, it's just that I regret getting rid of the RB because lenses, backs, etc. are so much cheaper than Blad lenses and accessories. The revolving back is a great feature too. I handheld the camera quite often and never had camera shake problems at all. The bellows are really nice too because you can get pretty damn close without having to use a macro lens.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your help Peter,

a GX680 is way too expensive for me. Granted, I can deduct it from taxes, but it's just more money than I can put up just like that.

I'm pretty sure I'm going for a Mamiya RB67 Pro S with a couple of lenses, a 127mm and maybe a 180mm. That's more reasonable for me.

Thanks,

- Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Williams
    I'll throw in my preference for the Fuji GX680 series cameras. I have the mark II version and I prefer it to my 500cm. With the extension rails and extended wide angle bellows I can get REALLY close to the subject and of course it does have movements (insert diparaging comparison to LF here). With the AA battery holder I have all the security I need that I'll be able to shoot wherever I go. It's not hand holdable, but if you are already using a tripod that won't be an issue. Used models and lenses are also a steal right now and the quality of the lenses is superb. I would recommend finding a shop where you can rent a couple of cameras before you buy. Good luck with your decision.

Peter
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just wanted to add some about Rolleiflex 600x:

Rollei also makes a revolving 6x4,5 back and the standard screen has guide lines for it. Since you can change between horizontal and vertical images by turning the back (while mounted on the camera), you can use the waist level finder even with 6x4,5.

Another thing that might be of interest is the M39/M40 shutter adapter that will let you mount enlarger lenses (only for close-up i think). You can also get a retro adapter so you can reverse mount the Rollei lenses. It will transfer the aperture from the lens to the camera or set the aperture if set to shutter priority.

For portraiture, both Zeiss 150/4 and Schneider 180/2.8 are good choices.

For architecture you have the 55mm PCS Schneider Super-Angulon lens with shift and tilt, but at $9000 (!) it will empty most peoples pockets.

Handling:
    You may hold it like you do with the TLR, or use a separate grip and/or a neck strap.

More information on
    http://www.sl66.com/slx/index.htm
    and of course http://www.rollei.de

The only real problem with this camera is the price. No wonder I'm still stuck with the one lens included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Medium Format Camera Reviews"
    http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/gindex.html

Not really reviews, but a list of pros and cons for more MF cameras than you knew existed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi!, I own several MF cameras, folders like Moskva 5, Seagull TLRs such as Seagull, 'cord Vb, 'flex T & 2.8D and SLRs such as Bronica ETR-C, SQA. IMO the small and light ones like 'cord Vb and 'flex T are the MF camera that I usually take photo with. Those SLRs are too heavy for handholding and forget about the camera shake and mirror slap. They are great in studio setting on a firm tripod but not agile in the field. And the normal lenses are the lens that I usually took photo with. Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin