Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,652   Online: 719

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can personally attest to the tank like build and dead-bolts reliability of an RB67. Doubles as blunt weapon - or more like battering ram, actually. You can step on it to get to a really high shelf. I think it gets Hassy owners so worked up because most people think its just a really big Hasselblad, which is not fair - and no one with a Mamiya should get that kind of attention! They don't deserve it! They simply did not spend enough!
    They "don't fix as well" as Hassys because they... well, don't break as well. They are pretty much immune to all the little quirks that can send your Hassy to the shop in a jiffy if you're not careful.
    As far as the inferiority of their lenses... I don't know off hand how many Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue covers were done on a RB67 - but I am willing to bet it was a vast majority in the last decade and a half or more - they seem nicely saturated to me. And I think people with those kinds of gigs can easily afford any equipment they want... so... some get Hassys, some get RB's and RZ's... obviously, it is not a matter of quality.
    You will have a camera that gives you a big 6x7 negative and has a rotating film back - so no flipping of equipment necessary. Yes, it is big, and yes, it is heavy - by camera standards. Its not a car or a boat. If you whine about how heavy it is and you do not have a physical disability or extremely advanced age as an excuse... well, you should hit the gym. Maybe not the camera you want to take on a very long hike in the mountains - but I know people who do all the time. And they have no hunch backs - just nice pictures - to show for their trouble
    And the bellows are great!
    Oh, and this just in - I just saw one close on eBay (with a 90mm lens and one back, waist level finder) for $350 Canadian. Thats... $7.25 US or something

Peter.

PS - You will always have your TLR if you feel inclined to travel really light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

you're a little too enthusiastic about the rate of the US dollar, I think... Wouldn't that translate into like $500 US...???

I think I have made my mind up to get a clean RB67. It seems like it gives a lot of value for the money, and if the lenses are good enough for SI covers, then I'm sure I'll be happy. I really don't mind that the camera is heavy, in fact, I like it. Makes it sit really still on the tripod.
    I do intend to keep the Rolleiflex, by the way. It's too nice of a camera to give up. After I get the Mamiya, I'll probably have it sent in for a good service to keep it in shape. I really do like the quality it provides.

Thanks again,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Oh, and this just in - I just saw one close on eBay (with a 90mm lens and one back, waist level finder) for $350 Canadian. Thats... $7.25 US or something

Peter
    $350 CDN = approx. $290.00 US at current exchange rates (the Canadian $ is at an almost 15 year high vs the US $)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know about the exchange rate, guys - it was just some Canadian dollar humour
    And for the record - I do love Hassy's and the German glass, but I have seen nothing to indicate that the Mamiya glass leaves anything to be desired. Good luck with your purchase, I think you will love the camera!

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mamiya lenses are stunningly good - I shoot the 645 Pro TL because it is so portable. You won't give up much, if anything, to Zeiss.

Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin