Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,493   Online: 643

Thread: Filter choices

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Filter choices

I am looking for a circular polarizer and some coloured filters for my RZ for B&W work and wish to know if there is much advantage to be gained by getting multi coated filters rather than the standard ones.

I am thinking of Hoya & Heliopan but if I am not shooting into direct sunlight, is there any need to get the more expensive multi coated versions? or am I missing something else?

Peter

Images
    My philosophy when it comes to filters is: Why buy the best lenses made with the best glass and then put a cheap filter on them? If you are going to buy quality lenses, buy quality filters. I try to buy, at the least, Hoya HMC filters. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you need the circular polarizer for the RZ, a linear polarizer should work and is less expensive.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with R-Brian about using the best filters you can. It can get pricey but I use nothing but B+W multi coated filters, the Hoya HMC are probably in the same ball park optically but the build quality of the B+W's are superior and hold up better.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ditto... I use B+W multi-coated filters for my screw-in filters and the Lee system for rectangular filters. Expensive, but with all Schneider lenses (who also makes B+W) I don't see any reason to put cheap filters on them after spending so much for the Schneiders.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my own observations I think that a lot of the time there is little difference between the results obtained using uncoated filters, single coated and multi-coated, but there are some lighting situations where there is a difference. Because of that I go for multi coating if it is available and doesn't have too much of a price penalty, otherwise I don't worry too much.

B+W seem to have improved their multi-coating quality over the years - so beware of older filters and stick to the current 'MRC' multi-coating. My earlier B+W 'MC' filters have softer coating than my Hoya 'HMC' ones.

As far as I know, there are few square filters that have multi-coating. I use B+W/Schneider, and there aren't many of them available with multi-coating. Some are available with single coating, and some uncoated. The fact that square systems are popular suggests that a lot of people manage quite well with uncoated filters. It's more important to use a lens hood, and to protect the edges of the unmounted square filters from stray light.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    The fact that square systems are popular suggests that a lot of people manage quite well with uncoated filters. It's more important to use a lens hood, and to protect the edges of the unmounted square filters from stray light.
    I was thinking that with these precations the standard single coated Heliopan would do me fine.

Thank you all for your help.

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin