Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,111   Online: 959

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ahh, so the dream continues, but I might have to start working out ;-)

Who can really explain personal preferences?? If you think about my preference for the C330 and that I shoot 35mm, it might offer a glimpse at why I want an RB67.

With the C330, I can shoot very fast either with waiste lever or Porro finders. One quick turn of the 'film advance' crank and push the button. And its got the bellows for close-ups. I never could find any real negatives about the C330, except maybe the limited lens selection. I wanted wider than 55 and longer than 250...

The RB67 seemed to be the perfect successor to the C330. It had everything including the wider lens selection, plus the rotating back and it was still a Mamiya. And there's something about the body style? Maybe a left-over from my original dream of a Hassy 30 years ago? Could it be "brand loyalty"? My first real 35mm was a Mamiya 1000TL...

So, along those lines, the Pentax SLR just doesn't quite fit. I hate to say it, but it's too much like a 35mm ;-) Form & function are sometimes closely related (for me).

I suppose this whole thing needs some re-thinking. Seems to be a dent in the 'function' part. Although it has the auto-winder, the added weight and bulk doesn't help. I probably should take a look around at other similar style cameras and see what they offer. Unfortunately, so many of them are no longer in production so details are harder to find...

Ohhh, for the days of being able to walk into a good camera shop and try out all those offerings in-hand....

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    I have been using an RB67 for many years and the fact of having to wind the film and shutter separately is no problem
    Take the picture, wind the film, cock the shutter, no problem.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked with a photographer who shot weddings with an RB67 - including candids and handheld shots.

If I recall correctly, the procedure for cocking the shutter and winding the film can be much faster than doing the same thing using, for instance, a Mamiya C220.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't forget the RZ because it is battery dependent. If the battery is dead, you can still take pics at 1/400 sec. Also the film is wound on automatically when the shutter is cocked. I have been using mine (second-hand) for three years without changing the battery yet.

I absolutely love this camera.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's been quite a while since I did my original research into the RB. But I do remember there was something I didn't like about the RZ. As I remember, it has it's own shutter and does not use the lens/shutter combination like the RB. This may even be a good thing? I did like the idea of the lens/shutter similar to LF and my C330. I don't know if there was anything else about it I didn't like? So, yes I'd have to take another hard look at it...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use both RB and RZ. The two stage wind-on and shutter cocking on the RB doesn't worry me. On the other hand, I normally use the camera on a tripod with mirror lock-up, and prefer to get the mirror locked up first, and then wait for the light or the breeze to drop. The RZ won't allow this situation to continue for more than 60 seconds because it thinks that the battery drain is too great... It's not a disadvantage you think of with a battery dependent camera.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    It's been quite a while since I did my original research into the RB. But I do remember there was something I didn't like about the RZ. As I remember, it has it's own shutter and does not use the lens/shutter combination like the RB. This may even be a good thing? I did like the idea of the lens/shutter similar to LF and my C330. I don't know if there was anything else about it I didn't like? So, yes I'd have to take another hard look at it...
    the RZ has no shutter - the shutters are all leaf and located in the lenses - they are electronic (hence the battery) - however they will fire on the T setting and not use the battery for star trails and the like. Bulb uses the battery.

(Again) you can also use any RB lens on the RZ and you will not require a battery as the shutter mechanism and setting dial are all integral to the RB lenses but you cant use any AE functions on a prism finder ...

I have two RB lenses and two RZ lenses for my RZ - I rarely use the RB's but this is probably due to the way the focal lengths worked out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin