Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,817   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

RB67 Pro SD and film winding???

I'll get to the question in a sec. I thought some explantion was in order first...

For years now I have not-so-secretly pined for a complete RB67 Pro SD system. Even though I happily shoot 4x5, 8x10, 6x6 and 35mm, I wanted that RB system. But since the cost of a working system is so high, I've never managed to grab one... I have spent quite a bit of time looking over the camera details, all the good points it seems...

The recent discussion about RB's stoked my fire again and I did some new looking. For some odd reason, I happened to notice a remark about having to wind/cock the camera/shutter, and then wind the film back. Separately?

Does this camera of my dreams not have any interconnecting winding mechanism between the back and the body??? Could I have missed such a drawback??? If so, this would certainly kill the dream. As much as I love the RB (without owning one!), I could never see myself using one if you have to wind the camera and then the back... Please let me know if I'm wrong on this!

If I'm not wrong and my dreams have crashed, could anyone suggest a relacement? Bascially an RB67 Pro SD with an interconnected film advance/shutter cocking crank...

Thanks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich, since this is a dream, and it appears that it will remain unrequited, I suggest you not get an answer to this question. There is no reason to mess up your fantasy on such a trivial matter. Perhaps when you are ready to shop, you can ask this question again. I think that the moderators will lock the thread for you if you ask, and I recommend you do immediately before your heart is broken.
    Last edited by Paul Sorensen; 10-05-2005 at 12:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RZ has the interconnected film advance/shutter cocking lever... but the RZ also is somewhat battery dependant.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rich,

Once you get used to it, it really is no big deal, I have owned a couple of them and used them in the studio, and it really becomes second nature to cock the shutter and wind the back...but sorry buddy, your dream has been shattered, as they have to be cocked and wound seperatly.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    C R A S H...

Thanks guys...

I suppose there's always a slim chance of finding an RB in my hands to test out someday. Maybe I'm just spoiled? But separate cock & wind just doesn't sound like it would work for me. I always envisions the RB as a big (yeah, I know) 35mm replacement and that just kills the whole idea...

Yeah, I checked into the RZ system a long time ago. Many things about it I didn't like, electricity being one of them...

So, I'll either turn a blind eye and keep dreaming, or just start searching for a replacement?

Hmmm, how about an auto-winder or motor drive? That would take care f the problem! Now, tell me there's no such thing...

You guys are cruel ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get an auto winding back, so you would only have to cock the shutter. That should help a little.

Sorry I couldn't help you out more, I tried.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, they do make a auto back for it, but again, it requires batteries and the back eats them pretty quick...I actually enjoyed my RB it was a nice camera, that was pretty easy to use and heavy enough to give ya a work out when you needed it, the thing weighs as much as a car battery LOL but takes good pictures and the Mamiya Lenses are really good

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    I always envisions the RB as a big (yeah, I know) 35mm replacement and that just kills the whole idea...
    How about a Pentax 6X7? It is even shaped like a huge 35mm and even has a standard 35mm style wind lever. Like a 35mm you don't get interchangable film backs, and it is battery dependent, but they last a long time and it feels totally mechanical. Great lenses and the price is actually quite affordable right now. (Not that it matters since you are looking for a camera to fantasize about, not one to own.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    The RZ has the interconnected film advance/shutter cocking lever... but the RZ also is somewhat battery dependant.
    -Grant
    ... not if you use RB lenses on yer RZ (;

<-- my avatar pic was taken with this combo if i remember correctly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using an RB67 for many years and the fact of having to wind the film and shutter separately is no problem. This is not a camera for fast shooting work anyway. It is too bulky for that, so an extra second makes no difference. If you want something fast which still gives 6 x 7 format and has the ease the RB revolving backs offer in switching between landscape and portrait orientation, you might want to look at something like the Pentax 67II SLR or the Mamiya 7 rangefinder (I also use the Pentax), but neither will give you the RB's great closeup capability.

David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin