Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,681   Online: 1146

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ball head users

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, thanks everyone. Price is defenitly a concern on my part. Thats why I was looking at the giotto's. I have had my eye on the 488 also. I know all about the Kirks and Arca Swiss. I guess I'll just have to squirrel away more money. I quess some more filters will have to wait!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I`m using one Manfrotto 488 RC0 Ball, so far, so good!
    Not expensive and do the job well.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield
    I like the Arca B-2 better for heavier cameras, as it seems to give better control. Put it on a heavy wooden tripod and I'm sure it would hold way over 50 pounds.
    The Arca/Swiss B-1 does hold over 50 pounds (it's rated at 65, I believe). I've gone to 40+ pounds with mine (on a carbon composite tripod) with plenty of margin remaining.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a MH1000 for my MF cameras and occasionally for my Graphics. It drifts a little when putting a Crown in the vertical position but it's still useable. I like their reversable head that gives you the two different stud sizes.

Recently I looked at the Bogen 488 series with quick connect. I probably would buy this one next. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=9&Submit=Go

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A salesman at Keeble and Schuchat Photography in Palo Alto told me that the Giottos ballheads were just cheap Itlian knock-offs of the Kaiser ballheads, and weren't worth looking at. Of course, if it works it works, I just never tried them out.[/QUOTE]
    Actually the Giottos are made in China. They are pretty well made for the price point. Similar to Bogen in quality they are nowhere near the quality of the other heads you're looking at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should have mentioned that I had an inexpensive Manfrotto head with the resin ball, I think it was about $50 or so, and it was really bad. It wouldn't lock down enough for me with the 645 and felt very flimsy, that is why I ended up getting the Giottos which was much better.

Hi,

You may want to check out the new Really Right Stuff BH-40.

They're currently back ordered but they expect a shipment soon.

Joe D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield
    I like the Arca B-2 better for heavier cameras, as it seems to give better control. Put it on a heavy wooden tripod and I'm sure it would hold way over 50 pounds.
    Wow - what of the Arca B-2 could possibly justify the $775 price?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin