Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,085   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Mamiya 645 for street photography?

I'm contemplating using my Mamiya 645 super for some street photo, trying to keep light and quick so would probably go with 1 lens and 1roll of 400. I have always used my 645 kit with a tripod and mirror lockup so just curious how it might perform on the street hand held..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I'm contemplating using my Mamiya 645 super for some street photo, trying to keep light and quick so would probably go with 1 lens and 1roll of 400. I have always used my 645 kit with a tripod and mirror lockup so just curious how it might perform on the street hand held..

Yes, it's possible. I have used the M645 pro with AE prisma for street photography. It's nice to have an extra 120 back for quick change. 45mm or 55mm (W.A.) Sekor is the best choice. But I prefer my Leica M7 now for this kind of photography.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    take a few extra rolls in a pocket! Although I've never purposely gone out 'on the street' with my M645 I do use it as a general walk-around camera and have have pretty much dispensed with the tripod (I used to use a monopod mostly) when using the camera like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film272-09.jpg   film433-14-Sml.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I say try it; spend a roll. What could it hurt? For the small amount of weight tho I carry a Slik Sprint Pro pod with quick release, cause there's always going to be something somewhere that makes me wish I had one with me. As concerns just people shooting, or shooting at outside events, I usually opt for my 35mm Nikon over my Super without a metering prism. I also like to hold the camera at my side sometimes and shoot blind.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All my street photography is done with a M645. I use Ilford 3200 shot at 1600. Developed with ID11. The grain is clean up to a 11x14. Of course this is on a bright day. I also put a orange filter on for a little better contrast. It allows me a shutter speed of 500th at F8 or F11.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, I'm glad you posted this question as I've been playing with the very same idea.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Sean
    Why not? I have used my Hasselblad and it works fine. The plus is the bigger neg.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, do you have the motor grip? It adds a small amount of weight, but the camera handles a bunch better with it. It also adds some noise that might be a concern depending on what/how you are shooting. I use mine hand held a great deal and have been very happy with the quality of the shots. I don't do street photography and have a couple of other cameras I would probably try first for that (Yashicamat and a Yashica Electro 35G) but I really can't see why you shouldn't give it a try.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    GO for it! The waist level finder will render you nearly invisible to people used to seeing an SLR or P&S held up to (near?0 the face.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used my RB67 for street photography, now I use a Bronica ETRS which is much more portable and people don't duck anymore when I point it at em. Use fast film so you can keep the shutter speeds up there for sharper shots.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin