Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,167   Online: 852

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Strangley drawn to MF

Cant explain why, but I feel I need to try MF, I have been into photography for a while mainly digital for my work (not professionally I hasten to add) and I really enjoy using my OM1 with my 28 mm and 35mm lense shooting local landscape, but it feels something is missing from what I view to what I can produce as a photograph. Does MF really give you that much more scope,or is it such a change in perspective that it has to be tried and experimented with.Im toying with a Bronica etrs camera with 120 back but only seem to be able to purchase with 70mm lenses which I don't think will be wide enough for what I want to photograph.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh my god, alls I can tell you is that it is a long and winding road!!, everyone should try it at least once in their photographic life, bigger negs, have such a way of making you feel good! I would suggest going to it, the more equipment you have the better, and then wait until the LF bug bites ya....and 8x10 on the light table is breath taking....I think I spent 2 days just looking at it...

Bigger is better!!!

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dustym
    Cant explain why, but I feel I need to try MF,
    You won't be disappointed. I think, IMHO, that one should start with a system that you can at least change lenses. Having a fixed lens medium format is nice, but sometimes, you want to changes lenses and you can't do that with a TLR or something like that.

Its so easy to process medium format and its awesome looking at the negs. 35mm is soooooo tiny compared to it. I process my 35mm now with no regard getting it right. If I have odd film that I need to process and have only 1 tank, I'll put it in with the rest of them. Either its a tiny bit under or a tiny bit over. But with my medium format, I have to get it right.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Agreed, you ought to try it. The 70mm lens won't give you the same angle od view that you are used to, but try it anyway. I found that with 35mm I used mainly 21mm and 24mm lenses, but with 6x7 I rarely use 50mm (about equivalent to the 24mm on 35mm). On 5x4 I never feel the need to go below 150mm (the standard length lens).

Dave is right; you are on a slippery slope to larger and yet larger negatives. Once I saw the improvement 6x7 gave over 35mm, and then realised that going from 35mm to 6x7 was the same increase as going from 6x7 to 5x4 I was lost...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It's a slippery slope dustym, we'll have you rigged up with a large format camera quicker than you think

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I switched from 35mm to 6x7 with my RB67. Stop thinking about, just do it!!

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dustym
    .Im toying with a Bronica etrs camera with 120 back but only seem to be able to purchase with 70mm lenses which I don't think will be wide enough for what I want to photograph.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. First of all I assume you mean 75mm. The 40mm isn't too hard to find. The 50mm even easier and cheaper. The 60mm would be similar to the 35mm you're used in 35mm film. Plenty of wide choice. If you're willing to stick with older lenses models both the 40 and 50mm can be under $200 from Keh.

If you can handle buying from the US Keh is who I'd suggest. Just click on thier link in the sponser section. Prices are cheaper then Ebay. Much cheaper then Ebay.Uk. Better product to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen
    from 35mm to 6x7 was the same increase as going from 6x7 to 5x4 I was lost...
    I am anticipating this myself. Although I learned backwards with LF then MF then 35mm, I never had the funds to buy a LF or the room. But now, I look at my sadly unused Nikon gear and wonder if I should trade the whole shebang and do more medium format. I have other 35mm that I use as well, just that when I was assisting, it HAD to be Nikon that you get. But I like my Minoltas for some reason. And I like medium format. I'll have an 8x10 by end of year and I'll have a hard time justifying my 35mm gear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went from 35mm to a Pentaz 645 and I just love it. The bigger negative makes all the difference. It did take me by surprise, the difference in dept of field though. Had to get used to that. Go for it.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) If you do your own darkroom work, you will be amazed at how much extra satisfaction there is in printing from the larger film;
    2) Even if you have to rely on labs, the output from a well exposed MF negative printed carefully (even using machine printing) is clearly better.

Quality films have tremendous capacity to record detail and tone and colour. A larger negative reveals that capacity.

IMHO, the only advantage of 35mm and smaller film sizes (as compared to larger film sizes) is that it is much harder to project larger slides.

Even my wife agrees (see this thread)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin