Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,289   Online: 951

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Theres another interesting workaround for the battery with the SQAi. It's an external battery pack that uses AA batteries, cord is about 3 feet or thereabouts. On a really cold day you can use that and keep the batteries in a warm pocket while you shoot, as well as the obvious of using it if the batteries in the camera go belly up and theres no spares handy. It simply replaces the battery holder in the compartment and theres a groove built into the compartment for the cord.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, Australia is a rather expensive place to purchase camera equipment.

In 1985 I was in Germany when I did a double take outside a little photo house. In the window was a Nikon F3HP body, for about $645.00 Australian dollars. Two weeks previously in Australia I had priced an F3HP body at $1,800 + 30% sales tax on top of that. To make it even more impressive when leaving Germany I recouped some tax making the camera body $597.00 AUD which, compared to the Australian price, was ludricrously cheap!

It was not that uncommon for professional photographers in this country to hop onto an aeroplane, fly to New York, purchase a 600F4 Canon, or Nikon lens, fly home and still have change over from the Australian price.
    Tax in this country is now a flat 10% for all items, so it is much better, even so, this country is expensive when it comes to photographic equipment.

I have purchased all new Nikon equipment from Germany since that incident in 1985 and have never looked back. I also purchased a Gosson Profisix for $210.00 in 1986 in Germany, whilst in Australia, the same unit was over $700.00.

I don't think many people outside of the USA/Canada region understand how cheap photographic products in those countries are.

The List price for the SQB is/was $2300.00 the street price was about $2,050/2,100. After the manufacture of Bronica finished, the price fell to around $1,800. There was one unit that I saw four weeks ago that went for $1,600 so I think the $1,400 in this country, is relatively cheap.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learn something new every day. Then by those standards, it does look to be a deal.

Dave
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mick

Comming from Oz myself I often keep an eye on Ebay there - just incase my family wants to know what to send me for my Birthday
    I resently saw a SQAi kit - body, back, AE prism, handgrip, 80 & 150 PS lenses, Metz flash and Quantum battery pack go for $900, and it looked to be in very good condition.

Just something to think about....
    Last edited by bon-jip; 10-21-2005 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bon-jip, I agree with you on that score. Recently there were two SQAi systems in the Photo Trader for similar prices, however I wasn't sure whether this would be suitable for me.

Now that I know that the SQAi is what I will be looking for, I'll pick one up when it comes on the scene.

Denmark is a nice place to be, I stayed for a time in the early eighties in Odense, I still think the train going onto the ferry, is a real buzz.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah it's bridges all the way Sweden to Germany now, so I never got the chance to do the train onto the ferry.

Good luck with your search for a Bronica, I think they're a nice camera, but I've never shot a 'Blad so what do I know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin