Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,491   Posts: 1,571,343   Online: 771

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

A question regarding Medium format lenses…

In a medium format camera with removable backs, does a particular lens have limitations regarding what size film type it can handle? Is there a limit? I.e. if a camera has a 105mm lens attached and a person is shooting with a 6x6 back but then decides to shoot with a 6x9 back, does he have to change lenses?

How does ALPA solve this problem (since their cameras can accept 645, 6x6, 6x9, etc…)?

Thanks!

Jon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normally the image circle of the MF lens is far larger then the recording size of the back, as I stated earlier today, I have used 35mm lenses on 4x5 gear and it almost covered the whole recording area of the 4x5 format film, normally any lens offered for a particular MF system will cover anysized film back they offer on this type of camera.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    View camera lenses generally are not associated with a particular format or camera brand, but part of their spec is the maximum image circle, which dictates the maximum format size, as well as the maximum format size for a particular purpose. For instance, you might need a lens with an extra large image circle for architecture.

Lenses for the Alpa seem to be Schneider view camera lenses that have been tweaked to give better performance wide open, perhaps at the expense of excess image circle, but they should still cover the maximum format of the camera, or if they do not at the wide end, they would be purchased just as wide lenses to be used with the formats that they do cover, just as lenses would be selected for use with a large format system.

With modular medium format SLRs that might have the options of different format backs (like 645 on the 6x6 Hasselblad or Bronica), the lenses are dedicated to cover the maximum format size, and the smaller format backs may be provided for convenience in certain situations.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a camera system is designed with removeable backs with a variety of formats you can bet your bottom dollar the designers took that in to consideration when designing the lenses for that system. They will all cover the largest format the camera offers. The Bronica system I have is a good example, each larger system has backs to do the formats of each of the smaller systems. The GS-1 has 6x7, 6x6, and 6x4.5 backs, the SQ has 6x6 and 6x4.5 and the ETR has its native 6x4.5 format and as well theres a 35mm pano back made for all of them. Each system has thier own lenses that can't be used on the others (I think thats not the best idea) that are designed to cover the largest format that camera body will see.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    What is the lens diameter needed for a 6x9 camera?

Jon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The circle of coverage for a 6x9cm would have to be at least 9cm in diameter to give full coverage. It really has nothing to do with the diameter of the lens, but the diameter of the projected image.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't be surprised if it varies with the lens.

I have a 150mm f/3.5 lens for my Mamiya 645 that has an internal baffle near the lens mount that appears to be in the same shape as the film format - i.e. a ratio of 6 horizontal to 4.5 vertical. I have never seen any definitive explanation for its presence there, although I expect it is related to controlling flare.

If you tried to use this on 6 x 9, I wouldn't be surprised if you would have problems with vignetting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt,

I would expect a lens designed for 645 to vignette on a 6x9, that seems to reason, All of my Mamiya lenses have square exits at the mount end of the lens, including my 500mm

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by imageWIS
    What is the lens diameter needed for a 6x9 camera?

Jon.
    For your future reference the image circle required for any lens is determined by determining the hypotenuse of the right triangle. The formula for this is H2 equals A2+B2...in the case of a 6X9 camera this would be 36+81 or 117...the square root of 117 is almost 11 cm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    For your future reference the image circle required for any lens is determined by determining the hypotenuse of the right triangle. The formula for this is H2 equals A2+B2...in the case of a 6X9 camera this would be 36+81 or 117...the square root of 117 is almost 11 cm.
    Sorry Donald, I posted before I engage brain and looked at the longest dimention of the format and engage typing first!

Yike, I must be tired.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin