Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 756

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Done it, No going back

I've been lent a Mamiya C3 TLR could only get Ilford HP5 in local shop loaded it and started shooting, viewfinder image blew me away, working with 80 mm sekor lense 2.8, developed the negs just now, I cant print until next Thursday week , I have bought an enlarger that can handle 6x6. Everybody was right its a whole new outlook through the viewfinder.

Which film could I look at for the Mamiya that would give good contrast for landscape, for colour film I use Fuji Reala 100 but I want the same feeling in black and white, I could do with some help T Max has been mentioned as a good alternative , I mainly shoot in ISO 100 Im comfortable with this speed.

Rgds
    Dusty

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I generally use PanF in 120 size and FP4 in 5x4. PanF is 50 iso (I nearly typed ASA!) and FP4 125. I'd suggest trying both and see what you think of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks I will give it a go, would this be okay with Paterson Unversal developer or should I try anothe chemical

rgds
    Dusty

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I haven't used a "universal" developer for film since the 1950s, and I've never used Paterson Universal for anything - not a condemnation, just that I've always used other products and I'm overly conservative. The best developer to use is the one that gives you the results you want when used in the way that you prefer to work. Since you are new to this game, the best advice I can offer is to see what you can easily get, and experiment a little. There is a thread going running a poll on "what's your favorite developer" and you can see who uses what.

For the record, I'm down for Rodinal which I like (amongst other reasons) for its one-shot use, extreme economy, flexibilty and amazing shelf life. I am intending to try Paterson Acutol again (I last used it in about 1964, so I should probably give it another go) which gave amazingly (to me, then) sharp negatives on PanF.

The only caution I will give is if you buy developer in a shop, check carefully to see if it has a "best before" date, and is still within it. I was caught once...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since you are intent on using your "universal" developer I suggest you stick with FP4. Otherwise I would recommend Ilfords Delta 100 developed in Prescysol EF for top quality negatives. Glad you have found a "proper" camera bye the way; enjoy it.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quiet, please. I'm looking into my crystal ball. I see . . . I see something with folds, and more folds behind it. Could it be a 4x5, followed by and 8x10?

Seriously, congrats on your move to MF, Dusty. But, watch out for that formatitis virus.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Quiet, please. I'm looking into my crystal ball. I see . . . I see something with folds, and more folds behind it. Could it be a 4x5, followed by and 8x10?

Story of my life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blix@broadpark.no
    Story of my life.
    Me too but the folds are in my stomach.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin