Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,802   Online: 833

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax 645 Junk / Portrait Length Hunt is still On

So, I found this lens:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeiss-Sonnar-180...QQcmdZViewItem
    Then I found this adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/adapter-Pentacon...QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be a good answer to my portrait length lens needs?? Its a little long, I think, but its fast. Suits my needs pretty well, so it seems.... I saw the name Zeiss and got excited, any good, this set up??

Then I found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/pentax-645-npc-p...QQcmdZViewItem
    Anyone know what sort of film, print size this uses/produces??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then I found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/pentax-645-npc-p...QQcmdZViewItem
    Anyone know what sort of film, print size this uses/produces??[/QUOTE]

I think it takes Polaroid 600 series film packs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The downside is you lose aperture control. You have to manually stop down the lens. The big gain about the adaptor is you can add the fisheye lens.

Are the Pentax lenses that expensive still? You're looking at over $300 for both items delivered. That's enough to get you a complete Bronica camera and 150mm lens from KEH.

The adaptor route is great if you intend to build a kit of P6 lenses. If all you want is one lens I'm not sure it's worth it. The seller doesn't mention which mount. You'll want to make sure it's the P6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The manual focus Pentax 150/3.5 SMC-A is going for $120 to $190 right now on KEH, depending on condition. They also have the 200/4 at reasonable prices.

I have the 150mm and it's not bad although it's not a focal length I use much. I've never heard of a Pentax 645 lens not being well regarded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Nick Zentena]Are the Pentax lenses that expensive still? You're looking at over $300 for both items delivered. That's enough to get you a complete Bronica camera and 150mm lens from KEH.[QUOTE]Well, if the price ended up being around $300, I wouldn't go for it... The current bid is around $100. Its a fast lens. Thats the nice part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a little suprised nobody has snagged it yet. Those things used to have bidding wars. The BIN isn't that much more then a 150mm Kiev would cost once you figure in the high shipping from Eastern Europe.

That speed will come with costs other then money. Check out how heavy it is and what filter size it uses. My 150mm Arsat uses 82mm filters and weighs more then some cars. Compare that to the 150mm f/3.5 I have for the Bronica. The Bronica lens is fairly light and uses 62mm filters.

Worse odds are you'll end up shooting at F/4 or smaller no matter what. So the main thing you gain is a brighter focussing but that's the thing you lose with the adapter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd love to try the Zeiss Sonnar on my p645. In any event, you might want to try a p67 lens with adapter as well (although possibly more expensive than a p645 lens)..
    The 67 lenses will be slightly longer on the 645 and there were some good portrait lengths in the 67 lineup. Also a soft-focus lens!

Pentax 645 lenses are very reasonably priced on the used market, atleast I think they are. Compared to Hasselblad lenses that aren't 80mm planars

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin