Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,661   Online: 947

Shooter
    Medium Format

Broken Lens - Repair or Replace?

Well I've done it - dropped the 75mm lens for my Mamiya 6 on the cement. Aperture ring doesn't turn, shutter doesn't fire, and the filter ring is toast. So here's the good news - fully insured. I have sent the lens to Mamiya for a repair estimate, but they only offer a 90 warranty on their repairs. Also, I have the lens insured for much more than a used on would go for nowadays. Is is smarter to go with a factory repair job on the current lens, or to take the insurance money and buy another used one? Which one seems less risky?
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you talked to your insurance agent about it? I ask because I am a former agent and we usually would have required at least the option to repair or proof of the actual replacement cost with a new item. Things do get a bit more interesting with something like this that is no longer available new (at least I don't think it is).Don't automatically assume that you will get whatever it is insured for, that policies I worked with wouldn't have done that. In other words, if you have not yet spoken with your agent, do so.

Back to your actual question. I think you would be better off with a very nice used one if you are getting enough extra to cover a CLA on it. You can assume that it likely has not suffered the kind of trauma that your lens has and that all it will likely need is a CLA. Given that choice, I would probably get the used one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the input Paul. I did speak to my agent and they gave me two options: 1) I can give them the lens and they will cut me a check right there for the insured amount, no questions asked, or 2) I can get a repair estimate and they will pay that amount, whichever I prefer.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Williams
    Thanks for the input Paul. I did speak to my agent and they gave me two options: 1) I can give them the lens and they will cut me a check right there for the insured amount, no questions asked, or 2) I can get a repair estimate and they will pay that amount, whichever I prefer.
    It's a no-brainer then, replace it.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I dumped my wife's DSLR in a river, my insurance agent told me that they would process the claim.

However, she also mentioned
    1) I have a significant deductible
    2) that they keep track of who makes claims, and this doesn't help you in getting good rates, or renewed, etc.

I am pretty sure that (2) was not something she was supposed to say, but in the end I didn't file the claim.

Matt

If you junk the lens, let me know. I am giving old camera stuff to my nephew. I figure 9 year olds love to take things apart, and lenses are always cool toys....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    2) that they keep track of who makes claims, and this doesn't help you in
    Yikes, Matt! What I have is called a personal articles policy that doesn't have a deductible. The premiums are also very inexpensive. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yikes, Matt! What I have is called a personal articles policy that doesn't have a deductible. The premiums are also very inexpensive. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I agree that getting the new lens is the better option, as long as you are getting enough from the insurance company to justify it. It sounds from your first post like you are, so I say "go for it!"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin