Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,508   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Bessa, at least, takes 120 film.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Are these 120 or 620 cameras?
    To the best of my knowledge, all Franka Solida Records take 120. Regardless, the seller states that it's a 120 camera, so if it take 620 then it could be returned.

I believe the two shutter speeds were 1/8 and 1/30, which should be usable outdoors with negative film...just match your film speed to the weather conditions. On sunny days you can shoot slower films (ISO 50) and on overcast days get out the faster film (125 or 400, depending on the light). This particular camera is probably limited to f/8, f/11, and f/16, but with ISO 50 film on a sunny day you could shoot 1/30 at f/16 and be close enough to get very usable negatives. On overcast days ISO 100 or 400 film will allow you to shoot with the provided shutter speeds often enough that I wouldn't worry about the lack of versatility.

Yes, it would be nice to have a shutter that went from 1 sec. to 1/400 sec., but people made extremely nice pictures with cameras like this one for a long time. Just remember that films tended to be slower in the 1950s than they are today, don't plan on shooting much ISO 400 outdoors, and this camera will be a joy. Being a little limited might actually help the craft side of your photography, as you'll have to work the image to the limitations of the camera. (I say this based on my experience when I first started using LF cameras...their limitations really helped me with all of my photography, even 35mm.)

Assuming the bellows are in good shape (which they tend to be on the German folders) and that the lens is in good condition, you got a very usable camera that will help you make great images. Best of luck to you...and don't give up on the camera due to the limitations it provides. Remember that people are making well-exposed negatives with Holgas, which have one shutter speed. You'll do just fine with the Franka.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I got the Nettar someone in PN suggested that I put a piece of paper about the size of the negative and cover it with double-sided sticky tape
    Then put the sticky tape side towards the bellows, and open and close the bellows with the camera pointing up.... dust got in the tape not in the film (at least in theory)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    The worst of the German 6x6 folders is better than the best Holga, if you're after evenly illuminated images that are in focus across the entire frame. Even if it's "just" a triplet, it'll look great at f/8 or smaller.

No, it's not going to be fixed focus, probably scale focus -- and might well be in feet, rather than meters (one foot is 305 mm, near enough). There'll be anywhere between three and eight shutter speeds, plus B and possibly T. No double exposure protection, most likely, and red window advance (so no 220 for this one).

In other words, it's very similar to the Speedex 4.5 (aka Isolette I) and Nettar 6x6 folders I have, both of which make perfectly acceptable images if you can set the focus accurately and hold them steady. Take a vacuum cleaner to the inside of the bellows, and you'll get rid of most of the junk that would otherwise land on your film (and in any case, the stuff thins out after 4-5 rolls).
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin