Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    I use 127 film. Kodak discontinued that ten years ago. I still have no problems getting all the film I need. I don't have much choice, but I have enough choice. Officially NOBODY uses this stuff, but that hasn't stoped Maco producing the stuff and selling enough to make it commercially worthwhile. Ferania still make 126. 110 is available from Fuji and a couple of others.

When Kodak discontinue 120 - which is still some way off in the future, then there will still be PLENTY of others making film for years after that.

From past record they stop making BATTERIES for cameras long before they stop making film to fit.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are always options. You can certainly buy a freezer and a lifetime supply of 120 film today. You can buy the camera and hope for the best. You can roll your own 120 as long as someone is making film. Nobody can predict the future; the best we can do is to guess based on our historical knowledge and personal experiences.

But you'll never make the pictures you can make tomorrow if yoiu don't buy the camera today. Nobody seems to think that 120 will be gone in the next few years...imagine the images you could make before a few years have passed. Is it worth it to get five years of images out of the camera? Only you know that. I don't know anybody who's predicting 120 B&W film will be gone in five years (except for those who believe all film will be gone in two years...but they were wrong when they made the same prediction two years ago).

Think back 10 years ago in your life and ask yourself if back then you thought you'd be worried about a medium format camera today. Probably not...do you think your life will be the same in 10 years from now? Will 120 availability matter to you then? Who knows? Truthfully, nobody knows. If you're worried, buy the camera, a freezer, and a lot of film. If you're more laid back, buy the camera and roll with the punches. Remember that you won't take images with a camera that you don't own...if you want to make pictures that you can't make with your TLR, then an SLR will get you at least a few years of enjoyment. What price do you put on that, even if the camera is obsolete in 10 years? (My opinion is that B&W film will be around longer than I will...but that's only an opinion as my crystal ball is not functioning properly.)

Finally, look at the Bronica S2A system...dirt cheap as MF SLRs go, loads of information on the web about them, lots of equipment available even though they've been out of production for decades, excellent Nikon lenses, and they're built like tanks. Search the web...you'll find loads of information. If you don't have to own a Hasselblad to be "seen", the Bronica might meet your needs for a lot less than you think you'll need to spend.

I wish you the best with your decision.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    need to upgrade at a ridiculous cost of $1,500 every 18 months
    Sounds reasonable to me: A full frame D-SLR which should measure my needs is about Eur. 3200,00 (5-D) and it should indeed needs replacement within 3-4 years.

Better to stay with my M7, or EOS analogue. With those camera's I have made money!

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    From past record they stop making BATTERIES for cameras long before they stop making film to fit.
    Yep. I have three Spotmatics and three Minolta SRTs. You can make it work, but it would be easier just to be able to buy the correct battery ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Live in the present. Don't worry so much about what the future may bring.
    Seems like there are a whole bunch of people in Washington, D.C. that are following that philosophy...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Seems like there are a whole bunch of people in Washington, D.C. that are following that philosophy...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    You can still buy film for 9x12 cameras, and they stopped making those in the 1930s. However, in a film vs. digital world, digital is winning. It's all a matter of demand -- can demand sustain supply?
    I.
    Yes, that's been the question,can demand sustain supply and if so how long can it do so ? I am quite optimistic.
    As long as all we can expect from a digital camera is that converted midtone crap, film will have it's place. There are some photogs coming back already, at least some of those who can still can afford to go back. Many have sold their analog gear for little money tho, have bought digital gear for big money which has now lost 70% of it's worth . In fact they are broke and must start with used film gear again. A Lemming fate.

IMO the current sensor technology is something like a guarantee for the surviving of B&W and slide film in a not too small niche. And C41 has enuff supporters too among those who scan, I don't expect it to vanish.

What will happen however when the qualitative leaps are all done with the current sensors and the next qualitative leap comes, who knows ? I really don't care, that will take a long time and it is not sure if any new sensors will be competitive. That's for the lady with the crystal ball I'd say and nothing which would influence my decisions now.

Emulsonly,
    Bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just remember this....

Once color film is invented nobody will use black and white.

no wait....

Once consumer-friendly 35mm film is introduced there will be no need for large format cameras anymore.

no wait....

Once automatic cameras are invented nobody will ever use manual cameras anymore.

no wait....

oh nevermind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even in a worse case scenario where 120 film is eradicated in ten years, and you are forced to scrap your MF system, the monetary loss will be substantially less than what the average digital shooter spends on upgrades over the same time period. In fact I think the fear of buying a camera due to future incompatablity in 10 years would be more pertenant to a potential DSLR buyer than a MF buyer. The average digital photographic enthusiast replaces a body every couple of years or so and dumps more money down the drain than someone who could no longer use a MF system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to a photostore yesterday and noticed they still carry super8 and 16mm films for cine cameras. when did those go uot of production ?
    S°ren

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin