Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,428   Online: 948

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I processed a roll of 120 film for Les McLean at my darkroom and it came out totally blank. After a day or two of research we discovered that we had only used Part b of a two part developer. We did not have any part A to use. That was pretty shocking too.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Argh! the same thing almost happened to me when I used rexp Koni the 1st time....
    Somehow insctinct kicked in and saw that the wrong sside of the paper backing was going to get exposed

PS. are you sure you didn't dunk the film in the fix first?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Well I had high hopes for this roll. This is from the shoot with John and Robert last weekend. It would have probably had 3 of my best negs, and it was shot with my 645. The roll came out blank so I am almost 100% sure I must have loaded the film backwards and exposed nothing but blackout paper? It was the first time I ever used 120roll (previously used polaroid 665 negs). I guess I'll grab a few expired films from the shop and practice loading again and shoot a quick test roll. The camera seems fine, shutter is firing properly, etc. sigh..
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Put the first solution into the tank and before you stop pouring you know that you've put the fixer in first. Been there done that !*^0£"3
    Do you have any idea how good it is to hear that from a pro?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one making bonehead mistakes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK. Talk about frustration... I was testing my film(4x5) with my jobo when I first got into large format photography. Setup the exposure tests, metered and took the shots, mixed the chemicals, tempered the chemicals, loaded the drum, processed only to pull out the thinnest negs I've ever seen. This happened time after time. I tried switching lenses, still the same. I put a medium format back on and everything was fine. Tried again with 4x5 film and back to square 1. I went through alomost 90 sheets of film before I discovered by freak accident I was loading the film backwards!!!!!! Put the cutout in the upper right corner the instructions read. Well I was. The upper right corner as you load is the lower right corner when the holder stands vertical! Hence, backward loading. Welcome to the club Sean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get this thread. Whats the point in processing blank films ?
    And whats the fun in dropping the film on the floor when rolling it on the reels?
    And why expose the backingpaper ?
    And the fix don't go in first, guys !

Why do you do that ?
    I have never done any of the above, never. Well that is ..... ahem
    Darned Im a lousy lier.

Well as said, it's comforting to know the pros does it as well
    Cheers Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once, I put paper in developer, stop, fixer, go to washing, nothing on paper. Go to enlarger again, repeat all again, nothing. Atleast 10 times repeated all over again. Mixed new developer, repeated all again atleast 5 times more, nothing. And then, I discovered I tooked bottle filled with clean water to stay a little for washing it insted of bottle with fixer...

Boy, I am glad to be member of your goup folks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, just print it anyway and say it's from a dark period of your photographic life

The 1st roll I put thru my M645 came out blank. I'd just got the camera that day from an online auction site. Luckily I was online and my 'net photo buddies of the time suggested I'd loaded the film inside out and so I tried another and 15mins later at least knew the camera worked!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I was in school Someone hired me to shoot their wedding. I was referred by the instructer as being the most qualified. We had just bought a Hassy system so I thought I'd use that instead of 35mm. The whole day loaded the film backwards. Needless to say they did not pay.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just to be fair everyone, I had a hand in helping Sean load his camera. Sorry Sean, it was a sweet day for shooting B&W.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys (and no worries Robert, looks like these things happen a lot!)

Well, I am sure I did not put the fixer in first, I have a habit of doing a quick smell test before pouring. I think the next few times I load a roll I might just pop on my night vision goggle and have a quick peek at it to ensure that yes, there's the film. I should be able to reshoot atleast 2 of the 3 shots so will have to head back up and try again. Might even do some polaroid negs as backup just to be extra sure everything is working well. Eventhough it was a loss I still had fun shooting with John and Robert and got some training on the eyes..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin