Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,498   Online: 864

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Marco

It's a Tessar 4.5 uncoated with Compur shutter 1/250. Condition is excellent and I believe it is pre-second world war.

I have been informed that this kind of uncoated lens still produces outstanding results. Perhaps you could add your opinions.

Regards

Darryl

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've never had the Tessar 4.5 so far, only Tessars 3.5 and Novar Anastigmats. The 4.5 "is said" to be less good than the 3.5, and this means, since all "said" things are 99.9% of the times just rubbish, that it is instead probably even better. Talking on an illimited money fund scenario, I'd buy one just to confute the "less good" hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrrad
    It's a Tessar 4.5 uncoated with Compur shutter 1/250. Condition is excellent and I believe it is pre-second world war.
    It is likely, but when production re-started after WWII, many units were made with a mix & match of pre-world war leftovers, so who really knows.

I have been informed that this kind of uncoated lens still produces outstanding results. Perhaps you could add your opinions.
    I totally agree. Generally speaking, I find that photographs made with these Tessars are as sharp as promised by the famous name they bear. Same thing happens, however, with the less sought-after Novar Anastigmat models, which thus are a cheap and smart choice. Both lenses are usually affected by a general flare to which today photographers are totally unaccustomed. Not a "natural flou" effect, but a general glow which surronds wide areas of highlights and reduces midtones' contrast accordingly. You can either consider it a defect, or better a valuable feature that will add a "vintage" touch to your images.

However, the best photograph I have ever taken to my girlfriend so far has been made with a camera which is almost identical to yours. Enjoy it!
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here's a [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]short write-up[/COLOR] I did a few months back on the earlier model 530/2.

There often were several variations within each model. The first was the Super Ikonta 530/2 with plunger style shutter release followed by the 530/2 with body release. The 531/2 introduced double-exposure prevention.

The camera returned after World War war. Zeiss Ikon also produced the uncoupled rangefinder model 524/2 -- a sibling to the Mess Ikonta 6x6 524/16. The 524/2 was 6x9 only. Both cameras are similar in their styling to the folding Contina, which was designed by the [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]legendary Hubert Nerwin.[/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mike, I don't get it. The one I see in your picture is the archetype of all Albada-type finders...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin