Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,164   Online: 831

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Medalist on eBay

I thought that this eBay listing was particularly entertaining - check out the description (below the photographs) where it states where the camera comes from :rolleyes: :

Medalist

I also like the "stereo" viewfinder :rolleyes:

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    a clean house, ooooh nice.

Almost as good as an "estate sale find."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    regardless of the silly ad, the Medalist is a neat camera with an awesome lens. I had one and sold it a couple of years ago. I regret that decision often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To the uniformed, I could see how they could call a rangefinder a stereo view finder, not a big leap...

I agree with Matt, the Medalist is one of the classic greats from the past century, I owned a Medalist II and it had one of the best lenses ever made, I ended up selling mine as well and now regret it also.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I of course found the auction because I would like to have a Medalist, but don't.

Unfortunately, I've never actually seen in person (or more importantly handled) a Medalist. Because of my circumstances (I have limited strength and dexterity in my right hand), there are a lot of cameras out there that I just can't handle, so I am reluctant to bid sight unseen.

One of the reasons I have always wanted one is because of stories my father would tell. I don't know how many here are familiar with the Farley Mowat books, including Never Cry Wolf. Farley Mowat used a Medalist for the photographs he took during his Arctic adventures. He swore by the camera, and said that it was the only camera he had ever found to be reliable in Arctic conditions.

The Kodak lab where my father worked had camera repair technicians who were particularly trained in the Medalist (and Retinas). Each year, Farley Mowat would bring his Medalist in toi be checked and, if necessary, adjusted, prior to going back to the Arctic. My father had a number of interesting conversations with him, but the only details I recall, were about his camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two cameras in history that really stand out as telling the world the story of World War II and that is of course the Graphic's and the Medalist, the Medalist I had was actually a Navy issue model II that was great, we did some lens testing when I first got it and it was as sharp as anything we had in the photo shop that I worked in.

But I do agree, it was a tank and had the weight to go with it!

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    gee Matt. With a bum right hand this might be the perfect camera. You can focus either by turning the lens ring or that little knob to the left of the lens. They stiffen up usually so a CLA might be in order to use the little focus ring but it'd be great if working properly. Of course you'd have to support the camera with your right hand while focussing with the left. And these are heavy cameras. Hmmm, maybe not a good choice?

I'd try and get a Medalist II. There is a problem with the shutter lock on the earlier model that is fixed with the II.

I had one of these and like everyone else wish I had'nt sold it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another camera that I've lusted after but never purchased. How easy are they with 120 film?

(I wonder if this one would be happy in my house, given that it's best described as a "messy house". It might offend a camera that came from a clean house.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mongo,

Being a 620 camera it does take a small bit of time to get used to, but I can now respool 120 on to 620 with no problems, then things are as normal, I would highly recommend getting one, it will take your breath away..

There are a couple of companies out there that do the machine work to convert them to 120, but I never found it needed, I can respool a heck of allot of film for the cost of the retro fit...

It is a great camera with an awesome lens, and well worth the money.

Dave

I would not hesitate to purchase another one, if given the chance, but I would definately get the model II over the original model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Mongo,

Being a 620 camera it does take a small bit of time to get used to, but I can now respool 120 on to 620 with no problems, then things are as normal, I would highly recommend getting one, it will take your breath away..

There are a couple of companies out there that do the machine work to convert them to 120, but I never found it needed, I can respool a heck of allot of film for the cost of the retro fit...

It is a great camera with an awesome lens, and well worth the money.

Dave

I would not hesitate to purchase another one, if given the chance, but I would definately get the model II over the original model.
    Thanks very much for the information Dave. I wonder if the trick of clipping off the edge of the ends of the spool would allow 120 to be used in the camera, or if respooling is called for. (No fears about respooling here...it doesn't look like rocket science.)

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin