Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,426   Online: 943

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a 330 Mamiya, and adopted it for similar reasons to your own. I didn't intend to keep it long, but a year later I've got rid of the EOS gear to fund some additions. Great camera. I may change to a Mamiya RB when my tax account is up to date.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Mamiya made a porroprism for the C3 and C2 families. So you can have your choice of either waist level or eye level viewing. There is also a choice of lenses, wide angle to telephoto, and a sheet film back.
    You may also be able to use the pentaprism that Mamiya made - it works on my C330 and C220, but I am unsure if it fits the earlier cameras.

It is brighter then the porrofinder (which used a mirror), and the image is not reversed, but it is heavy, and can be expensive.

I used to use it for weddings - it permits you to avoid the dreaded "navel eye" view of the world

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the lubitel is probably the worst TLR to try. for the same money (really cheap) you can get a ciro-flex or graphic 22. Which is at least made of steel rather than plastic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I thought the Seagull had that title (World's World TLR).

Seriously, however, one of the nice things about the Rolleiflex is its ease of operation. Now, I'm speaking of a camera that is in good condition. Focusing is effortless, and the camera is very simple to use. Flip up the finder, focus, shoot. You can see the shutter speed and aperture from above -- no need to check the front of the camera.

Crank the film 1/2 turn and move the lever back and you're good to go for another shot.

I'm not saying that a Mamiya also isn't a good camera, because I've always heard good things about them. But, a Rolleiflex is hard to beat, if you don't require interchangeable lenses. Downside: Many of them will need to be serviced, and if it hasn't been serviced, you should assume that it requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    You may also be able to use the pentaprism that Mamiya made - it works on my C330 and C220, but I am unsure if it fits the earlier cameras.
    I have both a porrofinder and a pentaprizm for for my C220. It also fits my old C2. The porrofinder is both a smaller image and not as bright, but weighs less.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A Broncia S2A would also be a great camera to consider; it has the 6x6 format and waist level finder, like the SQ-AI but it's older, and in a lot of people's opinions, better, because it uses Nikkor Lenses; it's what I started medium format with. I think a used body/lens/back kit will cost around $200 or so on Ebay. I don't know what a Lubitel will cost, but I think the investment in the Bronica or a Mamiya might be better, but my personal preference is for the SLR over the TLR.

Also, considering that the Lubitel isn't considered a very good camera (from what I've heard, I've never used/seen one), you might actually not get a very good experience with it; it may not take very good pictures and it may handle awefully, so it might not be representative to what a nicer TLR or medium format camera would be like.

I think you'd be much better off trying out a Rollifelx TLR, or really anything other than the Lubitel. Ebay prices should be pretty reasonable for any decent analog medium format camera.
    In the name of God, stop a moment, close your work, look around you. ~LEO TOLSTOY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just noticed that Les McLean has posted several photographs taken with a Minolta Autocord which is a 6x6 TLR with one fixed lens. The images are gorgeous. I googled the camera and one site indicated that the writer obtained his for $80 (American). Check it out...Les may own and walk a dog (or not), but there's no way he's photographing with one.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look honestly if you are looking for a 6x6 TLR the YashicaMats, and the Autocords have become a little pricey because of all the hype surrounding them. I would not pay more then $75-80 for a YashicaMat 124, or 124G or plain YashicaMat. I also would not pay more then $100 for a Minolta Autocord, or a Richoflex. Your best bet is a Rollie. For a little more then the cameras aforementioned you can buy a rolliecord. For less then $200 you can usually get a Rollieflex. This is the camera that all the Yashicas, Lubitals, Autocords, richos, etc, etc were made to imitate. The rollies are of a better build quality and have better lenses, esspecially if you purchase one with a Zeiss Planer, or Tessar lense. The winding mechanism in the rollies is far superior to the YashicaMats, which can be a real problem with some used cameras. If you do go with a Rollie make sure it has a PC connection for flash sync. Unless you are not interested in flash photography. I love TLR's but really its pretty much Rollie, Mamaya, then a bit of a drop off to the Autocord. The yashicas can make great pictures, but they are just not as well built, and when you are buying a thirty plus year old camera that matters.
    Just an honest opinion,
    Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I currently have both a Rolleicord and a Mamiya TLR along with several folders. I'd recommend a more Rolleicord IV or V or the similar Rollei or one of the other fixed lens TLRs mentioned. My Mamiya is a very good camera and can be used with a tiny tripod (compared to an SLR), but it is not a light little beast. The nice thing about the fixed lens TLRs is that they are great carry-around cameras (and much better used hand-held) even if you later decide you want an SLR system later. I also find it a whole lot more fun to use!
    If you decide on a Mamiya, though, I'd go with a C220 or 330. They are cheap enough that there is really no reason not to go with a more recent camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One other possibility is a Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex with a Tessar or Novar. Again, it's not as smooth as a Rolleiflex, but it's a very sturdy camera. There are numerous prewar and postwar versions. Most have the Tessar. Prewar cameras also offered a Triotar, while postwar cameras used a Novar. And like any older camera, assume that it needs to be serviced unless otherwise stated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin