Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,323   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Need some #500 Carborum grit

Hi I need to work on my groung glass and I do not know where to find the #500 Carborum grit
    Thanks Gustavo@gcastilla.com
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might try MSC Industrial Supply in NY. Their web address is www.mscdirect.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can also try Daniel Smith or Dick Blick art supply
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I posted to your classified ad, your best place to try is your local rock/hobby shop as this material is used in the tumbling of rocks and stuff.

Dave

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending how much you need, you might also try http://www.gotgrit.com/ -- they sell primarily to telescope makers for optical grinding, so the quantities might be a bit large, but they're certain to have what you want. If you're making a ground glass, you could probably finish the whole job with a 35 mm film can full (I used less than that in this size for an 8" telescope mirror, though the surface was ground to 320 before I started with the 500). The lapidary shops will almost certainly sell in a minimum of a half pound, too, so take your pick...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Wet dry saning paper.

You can get some wet/dry slicone carbide sanding paper in 400 or 600 grit. It's used for polishing wood n metal, will cut glass just as easily. Home Depot has it, it a dark gray color.

If you can't find any, e-mail me, I'll send you a sheet.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a little hint if you try a Google search: It's carborundum.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Just a little hint if you try a Google search: It's carborundum.
    Also known as silicon carbide, BTW; Carborundum is a brand name.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Also known as silicon carbide, BTW; Carborundum is a brand name.

Interesting--I kept thinking in my mind "corundum", which is the structure of sapphire.

I would bet that the guys who trademarked "Carborundum" had the similarity in mind.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also get the grit from Car DIY and workshop stores: it's sold as valve-grinding paste for lapping the valves and valve seats when you've run your old engine on lead-free petrol a bit too long.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin