Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,685   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

flash for: c330f, mamiya 7, bessa r3a

Hi!

I've read all I can find on this, and checked out the Metz home page, but I don't get it... sorry.

I would like to have one flash (or is it strobe) for my Mamiya c330f and for my Mamiya 7. If it can fit my Bessa R3A as well... that's just great, but not all important. I've read that Metz is good, but on their home page all they write about is the darned Eos 350D, D70s, D50 etc.

It would be great if I could synch on the rear "curtain" at least with the Mamiya 7, or even better with all cameras...

Is there a flash that fills these criteria (no pun intended)? If so, do I need a few adapters and special cords?

Thanks a lot!
    *henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to the Metz SCA module page they don't make a module for the Mamiya 7 so you'll have to use a sync cable. Assuming all your cameras can use a sync cable then something like a 45 would work with all the cameras. It won't give you any advance features other then auto mode on the flash. But then what flash features do these cameras support?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Now, I don't get it. If you're just looking for a flash that will synch with the shutter, any flash with a synch cable will work.

As far as I know, the C330 doesn't even have an hotshoe, not even to mention other contacts for extra functions. Just a synch contact on the lens (or so does mine). Every flash with a normal synch cable will work.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both the c330f and the mamiya 7 have a flash sync terminal. the 7 has a modern one, and the c330f has one that looks like a metal straw attached to a small metal disc. I guess those need different cables. None of the cameras support any special flash features, at least not according to the manual. But still it should be possible to manually set the flash to delay a few milliseconds before it fires, creating a manual "rear sync".

My main goal is to use this with concert photography. Doing concert shots with like 1/2 sec shutter speeds, fast film, medium format square negs and flash would look awesome. Gritty and slick at the same time... Don't you agree?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti
    Now, I don't get it. If you're just looking for a flash that will synch with the shutter, any flash with a synch cable will work.
    Well... I'm very much a dummy when it comes to flash photography. I've used the Nikon system some years ago, but that is highly automated. If I wanted rear synch I just set it on the camera and the flash did the work. Everything came out great.

I don't know what flashes that can be attached with a synch cable.

If I want do delay the flash to get a rear synch look, is that possible at all? I mean manually?

Which flashes can be set to use less than full power, to be used as fill flash?

You see, I _really_ am a dummy here...

Thankful for all help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can't do "rear curtain sync" with leaf shuttered cameras. What you CAN do is rig up a small delay circuit to fire the flash "late" and shoot with slower shutter speeds.

If you're looking for a flash with some "reach", I have a Metz 60 CT-1 available in the classifieds that would do the job nicely. The C330 doesn't use dedicated flashes, I'm not familiar with the Mamiya 7. The 60 CT-1 isn't a dedicated unit and will work with anything you can attach a sync cord. If the camera only has a hot shoe, a hot shoe to PC adapter works fine.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can, as well, fire the flash manually while the shutter is open.

If you want a suggestion, all (used) flash Metz 45 CT1 to 45 CT5 allow manual setting of intensity, have a handy flash "fire" button, and are useful to handheld a C330. I have the 45 CT5 and it's a bomb with the C330.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Large Format
    PS: the 60 CT1 suggested above is even more powerful.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya TLR lenses use standard PC cords. They can be a bit loose on the older post connectors, but a gentle crip sorts that out. Both the Mamiyas are leaf shutters, and X sync will be timed for when the shutter is fully open. The Bessa does have a focal plane shutter, but I can't comment on rear-sync capabilities. Mind you, that's only been around for 10 years or so, so a lot of photographers have managed without it 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks for all these great replies!

marco,
    good to hear that you are getting good results from your setup, that's reassuring!

bob,
    a delay cicuit sounds cool. I have a friend who is quite the electromechanic, maybe he can help me out.

graham,
    I know, I know... "rearing" is a new fashion, and of course one can cope without it. But I have not seen live music shots in MF lately, and never with that type of effect. It would be very nice to be able to capture that feeling of speed and energy, with nice grain _and_ the sharpness and detail of MF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin