Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 774

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just went throught the same thing. My med. format is now serving something more like 35mm used to be. Thus, I wanted something faster to use (had a C220F) and better to use handheld. I was teetering between a Pentax 645 and the SQ-A. For me the Pentax is perfect. To my mind, the Hasselblad system is just too expensive for me to take into the field (I am not harsh on equipment, just paranoid). Keep the Bronica.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You mention sharpness, but you don't give us what you are comparing. You can get some pretty old, soft lenses for your LF, or you can get some really sharp ones as well. What type of LF lenses do you have?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd get a cheap TLR if you want 6x6 (Rolleicord or Autocord) with a good CLA or a Fuji GW670 if you're looking at a different format, and use those in addition to the SQ-Ai. I've never trusted the Hassy/Bronica-style SLRs for handholding.

No reason to change from a Bronica to a Hassy, from what I've seen.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I use a Bronica SQ-Ai too so it might not surprise you that I'd suggest keeping it too. Here's why

First I don't think you'll see much if any difference in your photography by switching to Hasselblad- or any other medium format slr system. A few years ago Hasselblad sought to persuade me to switch and loaned me a new 501CM and three lenses which I used alongside the Bronica for a little while. Frankly I couldn't see much difference and despite going uphill and down dale on this issue on Photo.net, I've still got the Bronicas. Frankly if I'd thought there was a noticeable quality advantage I'd have changed in a heartbeat because I'm not in the slightest attached to cameras.

Second you won't get anything meaningful for your Bronica gear. I've just bought on eBay a virtually unused , not a mark on it, SQ-B complete for £275 as back-up. I felt guilty about it until the seller told me that Jessops had offered him £105! So compared with the quality of photographs you can make with it, selling your Bronica is going to get you nothing.

Third, as you point out there are some things a slr medium format system isn't too good at - and some of those things are done better by rangefinders. However the same works in reverse- there are lots of things that you can't do well on a rangefinder that work well on an slr. The answer here is I'm afraid to stop looking at a rangefinder as an alternative to an slr system, and to think of it as complementary. Having been through the same debate I have for the last five years used a Mamiya 7 alongside the Bronica, and whilst continuing to see the Bronica as my "base" system I'll use the Mamiya where

-I'm not allowed to use a tripod

-I don't want to carry a tripod or indeed the weight ofthe Bronica

- I need to work fast

- I need to get the camera into an awkward position

- My subject requires a rectangular approach

- I want to shoot to crop to panoramic.

Changing the Bronica for something else would not have grown my photography. Having the versatility of the two systems available has. Whilst the Mamiya 7 is expensive its also very good, and there are if you wish cheaper alternatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    You mention sharpness, but you don't give us what you are comparing. You can get some pretty old, soft lenses for your LF, or you can get some really sharp ones as well. What type of LF lenses do you have?
    My lenses are modern and I have compared them with other of same kind and it seems they are fine. I resolve about 30lpp mm which is not that high but could be acceptable. It could be something else but with same scanner I get much much sharper images out of scanning 5X4 negatives than 6X6 negatives. The difference is in the order of 4X to 7X sharper (comparison done with focal magic SW)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henderson
    Well I use a Bronica SQ-Ai too so it might not surprise you that I'd suggest keeping it too. Here's why

First I don't think you'll see much if any difference in your photography by switching to Hasselblad- or any other medium format slr system.
    Third, as you point out there are some things a slr medium format system isn't too good at - and some of those things are done better by rangefinders. However the same works in reverse- there are lots of things that you can't do well on a rangefinder that work well on an slr. The answer here is I'm afraid to stop looking at a rangefinder as an alternative to an slr system, and to think of it as complementary. Having been through the same debate I have for the last five years used a Mamiya 7 alongside the Bronica, and whilst continuing to see the Bronica as my "base" system I'll use the Mamiya where

-I'm not allowed to use a tripod

-I don't want to carry a tripod or indeed the weight ofthe Bronica

- I need to work fast

- I need to get the camera into an awkward position

- My subject requires a rectangular approach

- I want to shoot to crop to panoramic.

Changing the Bronica for something else would not have grown my photography. Having the versatility of the two systems available has. Whilst the Mamiya 7 is expensive its also very good, and there are if you wish cheaper alternatives.
    David,

Looking at your images at the past and realizing you are using an older and less powerful Epson scanner than mine is a part of the reason I am doubting the performance of my Bronica. Its true that internet presentations are telling just a part of the story but between weight, sharpness and mirror slap it seems just natural to look for a solution - your solution makes much sens to me and your rational covers most reasons I am debating this issue. I think I will have to find a less expensive alternative though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by micek
    Bronica RF645. 3 excellent lenses available from moderate wide angle to (very) moderate tele. Light but very well built. Good lightmeter. Ergonomically superb. Comparatively speaking, it is also cheap.
    Micek, have you used one? can you refer meto images done with it?
    thanks
    Ruvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    You may be suffering from a mild case of GGS - greener grass syndrome (the grass is always greener . . .). Or, more precisely, the substrain that affects photographers, SLS - sharper lens syndrome (the lens is always sharper on the other person's camera body).

Your Bronica is fine. Unless you repeatedly find that the work you do points out insufficiencies in your gear, there's no reason to change.
    Thank you Ralph. your comment is very meaningful for me and touch an issue of which I am most aware. GGS (love this definition) and SLS are somehow hidden in mine (and many other) search for a better camera but its just a minor part of it here. A quest for sharpness and image quality made me start mf at the first place and not achieving it to the degree I see in other sites is an issue I carry with me for a long time. I would love to solve it with the Bronica I have but as of now I have no idea how.
    The Bronica has three other problems for me: weight, mirror slap, and difficulty in shooting hand held (at least with a waist level finder). Since this is my equivalent to a 35mm camera these traits are limiting spontaneity, shooting things in motion (like my grandson or street scenes) and to landscape where distance and terrain are a
    concern.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruvy
    David,

Looking at your images at the past and realizing you are using an older and less powerful Epson scanner than mine is a part of the reason I am doubting the performance of my Bronica. Its true that internet presentations are telling just a part of the story but between weight, sharpness and mirror slap it seems just natural to look for a solution - your solution makes much sens to me and your rational covers most reasons I am debating this issue. I think I will have to find a less expensive alternative though.
    I find it difficult to believe your Bronica gives "unsharp" images; the limitation in sharpness with my ETRS is in the film, not the lenses. I have even checked EFKE R50 negatives with a microscope, since I couldn't quite believe the sharpness I was seeing!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own toooo many med format cameras. The Hassie won't be any sharper. The Rollei will be more fun. Even a clean Rolleicord will seem like an epiphany. They're so light and steady it's almost a whole different world. No mirror slap. But no interchangeable lenses either. The Mamiya C330's are similar but weigh as much as the SLR's. Don't sell the Bronica.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin