Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,509   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

rethinking my MF

Starting to enjoy LF I feels drawn to rethink my MF gear (Bronica SQAi with 50,80 and 150mm lenses). There are two issues that comes to mind perhaps more:
    1. sharpness: Hassi for instance does it better but there are other
    2. Portability: Fuji 645 can be hand held but there are other, more interesting too
    3. control: its the ability to better control composition, perspective, and exposure that got me to MF at the first place - don't want to loos it
    4. Cost: Hate to admit but its still a major issue
    5. Dependability: I still use MF to much larger extend than LF

I have started to think about two directions:
    1 TLR cameras like the Rolleiflex 2. Rangefinder
    Both have limited or no option for lens replacement (to tele and WA) and a parallax problem. My main photographic interest with them is landscape, urban scenes, and portraits. They should be also my main camera for travel.

reading my post here it looks like an age old topic that have most likely been discussed here before - hopefully from different angles ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bronica RF645. 3 excellent lenses available from moderate wide angle to (very) moderate tele. Light but very well built. Good lightmeter. Ergonomically superb. Comparatively speaking, it is also cheap.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Keep your Bronica.

Despite having an almost infamous selection of LF gear and lenses, it's still the ETRS that goes with me on "non-photographic" trips. Having compared the sharpness of the Bronica lenses with a wide range of others, I don't believe Zeiss lenses (Hasselblad) are significantly sharper.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is from my short experience with a few good cameras, but no TLR's.

I too have similar questions about MF, and actually I am so deep into LF that I rarely even want to pick up a MF camera.

On the MF side, I really feel that you need 2 MF camera systems.

One lightish RF like a Mamiya 6, Mamiya 7, Fuji GSW/GW690 or a GA645zi (if you want auto everything) for light travel, hiking and a grab and go camera, for landscapes etc. Actually the ZI is pretty cheap for what it is. For now I have settled on the ZI, but I sure wish it was a 690 format.

Add to that a versitile MF slr or maybe a tlr like the mamiya c3 pro. Something you can put on a tripod (plus mlu for a SLR) or handhold at a higher shutter speed, and actually see what you are framing. Of those I think the Pentax 67II, Pentax 645ni fit the bill. Maybe a Kowa, just because they are so cheap. There are a multitude of other cameras out there too, like your camera. Did you ever get a chance to try another lens on your camera with B+W pan film, MLU on a good tripod ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be suffering from a mild case of GGS - greener grass syndrome (the grass is always greener . . .). Or, more precisely, the substrain that affects photographers, SLS - sharper lens syndrome (the lens is always sharper on the other person's camera body).

Your Bronica is fine. Unless you repeatedly find that the work you do points out insufficiencies in your gear, there's no reason to change.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny, Ruvy and I correspond a lot and I also suffer from GGS. One thing I will say is that a super super sharp lens usually cures my GGS temporarily.

All I want is a pocket camera with a super sharp zoom lens, very minimal to infinite DOF that I can enlarge to the size of a bus.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wholeheartedly agree with Ralph. Don't get caught up in the GGS. Set yourself some sort of goal, such as to produce and sell a certain quanity of prints or stock sales before you allow yourself to buy something else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep the Bronica system. The Hassy will not be better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm currently saving for a new Mamiya 7 II. I'll be saving awhile, though - they ain't cheap.

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    NO NO NO you really need that hassy.

I'll be happy to help by taking the bronica off your hands at a reasonable price.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin