Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,528   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    maybe i should lock my speed graphic focus on a certain distance and just use the sport's finder ? anyone have experience doing that - no focus thing ? ...
    Hi John,

I've done a lot of street shooting with a Mamiya TLR "fix focused". I typically set the focus around 15 feet, then an aperature between f8 and f16 depending on the lighting (usually a faster shutter speed for handheld, like 1/125). TLRs are good for attracting not too much attention. People usually notice the big camera, but since you are looking down in the WL finder (rather than looking at your subject), they dont think you are actually taking a picture of them. The quiet shutter helps. Also, holding the camera at waist or chest level helps in this manner too. I have used a monopod at times which allows the use of slower speeds, and is not very cumbersome and doesnt attract too much attention. For such candid shots, plan on taking a good number of frames (not a problem for you if you have so much film!). I find that a reasonable number of frames are trash, but if you take enough, you'll get what you're looking for.

cheers

Tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    John, I recently sold a gorgeous Pentax 67 outfit with 4 lenses etc when I discovered the joys of a $65 Minolta Autocord. It's as good a solution as I've found for TTL focus while the grandbabie action is unfolding. And it's light as a feather. I dream of an autofocus Fuji 645 but just haven't found one for 65 bucks yet.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi again --

i wanted to thank you all for your help and suggestions.
    i ended up getting a folding mamiya 6 ( olde not new ) and it will arrive
    sometime in the next few days in that truck in the plain brown wrapper.

i've a bunch of film to shoot with it, and when i am done, who knows, i might keep it!

i'll post some "stuff" i shoot with it here in the gallery, if i can find the time to process + print my film..

thanks again for your help!

-john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Find a Yashica 124 (not G). Essentially the same camera with a different paint job and metal gears (instead of plastic). Great little kit and I got my last excellent example for $80

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    127 Format
    claire - i was hoping to do (street) candids, no frills, not too much gear to lug around just point and shoot kind of stuff, but with a big negative + not a big production.
    Fuji 645. The Ga645 is litterally a 645 point and shoot! The Ga645i is a bit more the throws in a zoom!

Both are autofocus, AE, motor wind, with built in flash! They are litterally a 35mm compact scaled up for 120 film.

Prices are great, and results are good.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations on the Mamiya 6 John - from what I have seen of them, think it will be a good match for what you wanted to do. Be sure to have fun, and don't forget to share the images with us.
    hi again --

i wanted to thank you all for your help and suggestions.
    i ended up getting a folding mamiya 6 ( olde not new ) and it will arrive
    sometime in the next few days in that truck in the plain brown wrapper.

i've a bunch of film to shoot with it, and when i am done, who knows, i might keep it!

i'll post some "stuff" i shoot with it here in the gallery, if i can find the time to process + print my film..

thanks again for your help!

-john
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I checked phot.net on Seagull cameras. There is a general opinion that the cameras are mechanocally unreliable. I no longer recommend one.
    Seconded. The shutter in my Seagull (purchased new in Nov of 04) died horribly after less than 250 frames. I'll never buy another one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin