Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,234   Online: 844

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Peter, you never know, go back and visit the same pawn shop and they may have another "cheap/short" lens you can get. One thing I've learned about pawn shops and thrift stores is that you have to go daily.

The way I figure it, I can replace the body cheaply. The one that took a swim today was a used "Bargain" grade ProS body from KEH. I can get the same body, same grade for less than $100. The back I can get for around $100. The lens will cost between $200 and $300. If this wasn't Christmas time and if I weren't going to Venezuela for 2 weeks in a month I'd have the money to replace it all, but right now my money is spoken for.

I took the prism apart and there was really almost no moisture in the body of the prism so that's encouraging. I can't test the meter because the batteries drained pretty quickly, I'll get some batteries for that tomorrow. The film stuck to the paper a little so I'm assuming I lost a few shots, but I think a few will be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Travis,

I do hit the pawn shops on a regular basis - I find that the average-to-worthless stuff is actually overpriced, while the gems are sold for a fraction of their worth because of this by-the-foot mentality Sadly, they are also much more rare.
    I wish I could offer some help as to your particular predicament, as I know of a guy in my area who is very capable and beyond reasonable price wise ( a friend of mine had his RB67 looked after there a few times and always with stellar results) unfortunately, its a local shop. As good as he is, I am sure you have people near (or at least more so) that are at least equally qualified.
    Too bad about the film - the only upside to my recent robbery was that all the film of the wedding I shot when the theft occured was elsewhere.
    I also totally mised the backing paper issue... that may be a monkey wrench.
    I sincerely hope that you manage to slavage the lens as it is the most pricey item...
    Those RB67's... man, they can gather momentum in a hurry - I saw what my friend's RB did to another buddy's sunglasses when left unattended in the backseat of a moving car, I can only imagine what it can do to itself given a little help from gravity...and some rocks. Truly sucks, especially since you are going away, its not something you want in the back of your head while you are trying to enjoy a trip!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've nearly lost my hasselblad on two "occasions". Last year I got my camera/darkroom/studio equipment insured in a separte policy to my home insurance and includes international travel, theft etc.

Its really great peace of mind, your scenario is my worst nightmare. Hope you recover quickly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

loss

Sorry about the loss. Richard Ritter who repairs camras; usually LF ones told me an easy solution for this problem where you don't have to lose your camera or lense. Simply place the equipment in a plastic bag along with some deicer crystals (this part in not sure so I hope Richard will see this and chime in-whatever it was it was readily available from the hardware store) but place the entire thing in the microwave for a few short seconds and the whole thing will dry out. Told me it worked like charm and has saved several lenses and bodies this way....
    Best Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    I've nearly lost my hasselblad on two "occasions". Last year I got my camera/darkroom/studio equipment insured in a separte policy to my home insurance and includes international travel, theft etc.

Its really great peace of mind, your scenario is my worst nightmare. Hope you recover quickly.
    Same over here. After the theft of my Rollei MF, I got insurance for every piece of equipment. It's cheaper than one might think. It even includes payment for damages done by sheer stupidity of the owner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A microwave and deicer crystals eh? There's a lot of water in the lens, but its worth trying. As far as the body goes, it took a bigger hit then what I previously thought so I'm just going to replace it, bodies are cheap. The lens on the other hand is worth trying to save. Thanks for the info Peter. I guess next week I'll start looking for insurance.

The film developed alright, not the best negatives, but they're usable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just be sure to flush the resident water out of the lens with distilled before trying to dry it, the salts in the water will leave deposits on the glass.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Be careful or you will need to buy a new microwave, too. Metal can cause sparks and such.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    There's a lot of water in the lens,
    I got water in a lens some time ago, not as much as you and it was rain water. I got a freezer bag and drying crystals from a hearing aid shop. I put the lens in the bag airtight with and changed these crystals each day [they changed colour when "full".
    Lens was perfect after several days

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm going to drop the lens off at my camera repair guy today. I'm going to replace the body and the back. I took the prism apart and it was pretty dry inside, very little moisture but now the meter doesn't work. With the bare wires and solder joints in there I figure that something got fried which shouldn't be a big deal to fix for someone knowledgeable about that sort of stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin