RB67 Pro-S Seal Replacement
I ordered up a complete set of foam light seals from Mamiya. Besides the bewildering amount of seals included for the back, revolving adaptor and body, most of the foam does not have a self adhesive back. I was told by the tech to pick up some Dap Weldwood glue.
Question, how does one go about applying this contact cement? To the foam or camera parts, do you wait for it to dry, or apply it wet???
The 120 back seems to have the worst deterioration. I would appreciate any tips or ideas from anyone who has changed them.
Tooth pick patience and time, apply a small bit to each part and let it dry, then carefully apply the seal to the part, make sure you have cleaned any old residue and foam off.
Okay, I'll give it a shot!
The glue makes such a terrable mess. If you have any thin double sided tape, use that instead. Stick the seal on the tape and trim it with a razor knife.
Should have bought the self stick seal material form MicroTools adn cut your own strips.
Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.
I have done several of the Pro S models with the seals and used the glue and as long as you pay attention and have the patience to do it, you will be fine, I used to do ours in the studio about every two years and never had any problem at all...
Patience is a virtue grasshopper, just pay attention and you will be fine.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
I hate to raise a thread from the dead, but...
My Mamiya RB67 ProS appears to have developed a light leak (why it timed this with me going to Iceland, I do not know, although it seems to be worse for the photos taken on top of a glacier - I suspect cold may be a factor - but that's by the by...)
Err, anyway, my question is... Does anyone know where I can buy replacement seals (and the abovementioned glue) in the UK? I've had a spritz round Mamiya's site but can't find anything helpful, but the site seems fairly information light anyway... The seals around the ProS plate are in pretty terrible shape.
Edit: Actually, after dwelling on it, I think I just realised why the problems were worse on the glacier... I normally leave the darkslide in and only take it out long enough to take a shot; but my fingers were frozen up there so I left it out... Ho hum. Good news is with a bit of judicious cropping there should still be a shot salvageable for the postcard exchange :-).
Incidentally - if you've not been to Iceland, go; stunning country - looks like I'm going to have to schedule another trip with a non light-leaky camera; schucks ;-).
Last edited by tim_walls; 07-10-2007 at 06:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
Reason: Further musings...
Originally Posted by tim_walls
Jon is great. I have resealed a couple of my rb67 backs, no problem
tim in san jose
Where ever you are, there you be.
Thanks Tim - I've ordered one of Jon's kits, am looking forward to getting the Mamy back in shape!
In the meantime I'm attempting to salvage what I can from the shots I took! (For the curious, the results so far are on the front of my flickr stream - you can just see the effects of the leak in the bottom left corner (& right-hand side) of the last photo on that page. There are far worse than that though, more's the pity - I'm wondering if the B&Ws are salvageable in the darkroom with a bit of burning in...