Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,712   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check the finder foam every few years on an S/S2/S2A/C, and that usually takes care of the focus issue.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might suggest you consider a Mamiya 645 Super if you are interested in the 645 format (which it sounds like you might not be). It has interchangable backs, has a great winder available which improves hand held performance immensely and is quite a bit newer than a 645J. I have had two older 645s, an original 645 and a 1000s both go out on me, so I am a bit leery there. Of course I got them on eBay with no warranty.

Prices for the super are not much higher than the older models. KEH has a kit with unmetered prism, winder, back, and 80mm lens for about $350. Not sure what they would charge to ship to the UK, but it might be worth looking into.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a M645 (the old one, no interchangable back) and like it very much. No negative experiences so far. Lots of used lenses at reasonable prices to choose from. The 645J is a somewhat simplified version of the M645, no mirror lockup, IIRC only one shutter release where the M645 has two, and probably a few other details I don't recall... The importance of mirror lockup has been discussed at length, but I feel it's a useful feature for this camera. So my advice would be to look for a version with MLU; ie. the M645 or the M645 1000s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went through this question about 2 years ago when I got into MF. I looked at them all and this is conclusion I came to:

I ruled out 645 formats because it is not a huge format for th extra bulk of the camera over 35mm

If I want to shoot in the same format as 645 with a 66 camera I can frame and crop afterwards.

I looked at the various 6x6 choices and went for the Hasselblad 500C/M - it cost £525 complete with 80mm Planar and film back etc. in nice condition, from a dealer (MW Classic cameras, in London). I figured I could have had a Bronica for a lot less money, but the sheer quality and rugged build of the Hasselblad, along with those amazing Zeiss lenses made the choice too easy. Plus the sheer range of accessories is almost endless - it has to be the ultimate MF System. The nice thing is that over time you can gradually build up your kit. I now have three film backs, the 250mm Sonnar, lens hood, prism, side handle - been eyeing up the Schneider 140-280 Zoom though!

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lots of excellent choices. I opted for a Mamiya 645 Pro TL and several lenses. I relly love the Mamiya glass. I also have a Bronica RF645 - great travel camera.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I ruled out 645 formats because it is not a huge format for th extra bulk of the camera over 35mm

Matt
    I arrived at the same conclusion. I would only consider the 645 format if I did not have a good 35mm system. Otherwise, I would go with a larger medium format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin