Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,708   Online: 704

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

rb67 favorite lenses and tripod

I just got a pretty clean body off of ebay. I am wondering what lenses you get the most use out of, and a good tripod for the beast. I want something light, rugged and easy to use (all diametrically opposed attributes).
    BTW I have wanted one of these things since I was a teenager, unfortunatly they cost almost 10x more than they do now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome to the RB club. You're right in calling it the beast but what a beautiful beast it is. I've owned my RB since '84 and its been a workhorse for me. It even suffered a fall of 10 feet and still worked for a year or more before I finally had it fixed.
    What lens do you want depends on what work you do? I had only the 90mm for most of the time and just got to use a 180mm. I do alot of close up work, landscape and figure. The 90mm is still my fave!
    As to tripod? I use my Ries J100. It's my cross over tripod for both the RB and my 4x5. The tripod is great. Not the lightest thing but I don't travel too far from the truck when doing any field photography.
    Just remember to use the Mirror-up for your RB. Theres nothing like the "Chur-Chunk" of the RB firing but it took me sometime to figure that mirror sure makes awhole lotta shaking and why my negs weren't sharp!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am coming off of lugging a c-1 around, so it is hard to imagine that the RB is going to be that heavy. RIES are great but I am looking for something made out of modern materials, and not so expensive.
    I have never used wide angle lenses but I don't think I will get much use out of one here in NM, the vistas are endless. A 50 might be nice for close-up though.
    Anyone else with ideas about focal length in the southwest?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had an RB for a few years and used it mainly for figure work... The 180 was the best lens for me bar none.

I had a 50 and 90 and used them sparingly... While the 50 can add some dramatic look to the stretched foreground, I think the 65 is a little more practical.

Personally, if you're not a wide angle guy... I'd start with a comprable lens to what you HAVE used and expand from there...

Good luck,

joe

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My RB has been lugged around NM since 1972 equipped with the 50, 180, & 250. I also have the Komura 2X teleconverter, but I've never used it. I like the "near-far" approach to landscaping, so the 50 is my lens of choice for landscaping NM. For a tripod I used the Bogen 3031 which comes in at around 9-10 pounds, & it's never allowed an unsharp image in the August storms. The Bogen is also great for fighting off wild dog packs and being the center pole for a make-shift tent.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not own an RB. I own an RZ. I have a 4.5 50mm W, 3.5 75mm L, 4.5 140 macro, and a 4.5 210 Apo. Each of the lenses has proven to be highly satisfactory. The same lenses I believe can be had for an RB.

I have a Majestic 2051 tripod. It has been completely satisfactory and it is tougher and easier to use than a mean, riled up mother in law.

I believe that lightness is a quality that is far down on the list of qualities needed in a tripod.

The tripod I would have chosen had I had I then had the funds would have been a Reis J 100 like you know who has.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems that metal tripods in the same weight rating aren't any lighter than wood. Maybe I will get a berlbach. Nobody seems to have the one with the built-in ballhead, that seems like the best one.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    the bogen 3051 and 127 lens....i like the camera and have had it for 15 or so years, bought it used...recently used it for some jewelry ad photos...also a good portrait set up, recently got the much acclaimed 180 on e bay so am looking forward to using that one...the negs have always been excellent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB is a great camera and I use mine more than any of my others. I have the 90mm and 180mm. I shoot mostly landscapes and I use the 90 probably 80% of the time. Despite what I have read from some people I wouldn’t want a lens shorter than the 180 for portraits other than full length. For tight headshots the 250 would be nice. I can see myself ever wanting the 127mm.

As for a tripod I have an Manfrotto 055 with 029 head and I feel this is hefty enough. This along with filters, the RB, lenses, light meter easily fits into my lowepro mini trekker but I really wouldn’t want to carry it more than a couple of hours.

Make sure you get the C or KL lenses. Both mine are C but I’m curious to see if there is any practical difference between the results produced by these and the KL series.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I only have two lenses, the 127 and the 65. I use the 65 most and its a great lens. One piece of advice I can give you is don't take your RB swimming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin