Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,278   Online: 943

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A Bronica conundrum

Here's a funny..... I use a Bronica ETRS and an AEII prism. when I use a #22 filter, the meter/camera/prism combination results in correct (or nearly) exposure, but whn I use a #29 filter, I am about 1 to 2 stops under exposed. Anybody know why such a thing happens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The meter is having problems with pure red light? I guess it's less sensitive to red. But a 22 is mostly red to. I wonder if you use a 25 is it in between the 22 and the 29?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What film are you shooting? Some B&W films, Panatomic X comes to mind, has a decided drop in sensitivity at the red end of the spectrum. If your meter does not match that drop in sensitivity you will have the metering errors you mention. In this case you need to recalibrate your EI for use with this filter.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From my Nikon F2 manual and other kind folks on the NikonMF list, I learned a long time ago to always compensate for a #25 filter by reducing the ASA setting by a stop (e.g. 400-->200). The F2 manual says that the meter is less sensitive to red. Since then I've always done that on any camera I use, now including my ETRSi. This practice has always seemed to give good results, though I must admit I now use orange filters more often than red.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin