Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,815   Online: 737

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Any Arca-Swiss or RRS dealers in LA?

I can't find a website for ARCA-SWISS and i'd like to try one before i order it. I'm heading back to northern Michigan on Friday and i know there aren't any dealers up there. I posted earlier about my manfrotto 3275 geared head goin' to hell and i need to replace it. I've been looking for a few days at kirk, arca-swiss, and really right stuff. Arca-swiss seems to be the most favored but i don't know if i'll like it. I've only used 3 way, fluid and geared heads in the past. RRS doesn't answer their phones. I'm most concerned about getting a new head that can handle the shutter slap of my Pentax 67II.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know that Kirk and RRS sell in retail outlets. I think they're only mail order. Or at least I haven't noticed them in any of the NYC shops.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Samy's camera. The top floor of their building.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think David is right about RRS being only an online source. If they'd return my calls then i would ask about a demo. I tried samy's online and they've got nothing. Calumet, nothing. I'll give samy's a call.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't know that Kirk and RRS sell in retail outlets. I think they're only mail order. Or at least I haven't noticed them in any of the NYC shops.
    RRS is direct only. They have a very comprehensive website and my (one) experience purchasing something from them was very positive. Kirk does sell through dealers as does Arca.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called RRS and they weren't sure if they had any BH-55 heads available. I also didn't like the fact that the pan and tension knobs are on opposite sides of the head. You'd need to switch hands to operate it. Samy's said they didn't have any B1's in stock so i drove down there and looked at the whole pile of them they actually did have. No one wanted to help me so i ordered one at amazon.com instead. I also ordered a 1325 tripod from amazon to put it on. An expensive day but i guess i'll have one less technical problem to worry about. No more unsharp negs.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that Samy's does not carry Arca Swiss - I was there a few weeks ago and checked it out. Try Simon's Camera:
    (323) 463-8585
    1213 N Highland Ave
    Los Angeles, CA 90038

They don't have a website. I didn't check them when I was there last but I remember they have a lot of stuff packed in that store when I was there in the summer. They have lots of used equipment too, if that's of interest. Plus it's a couple blocks from Calumet as well.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin