Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,951   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheap MF with film advance lever?

I have recently picked up a 35 mm rf, and it reminded me of something I was missing on my Holga- a film advance lever, rather than a winding knob. In all of the MF cameras that have been made over the years, are there any cheap ones that have a film advance mechanism that doesn't require winding while looking through a film counter window?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Depends on your idea of cheap - Holga cheap ? cant think of any...

But a beaten up Mamiya with a 35mm lens shoved and taped inside might do the trick - along with the tilt and shift you might even get Holgaesque vignetting and a light leak or three for your buck
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can pick up Kiev 60's for less than $150 bucks now a days, if your careful with them, they will work pretty good, I have had a couple of them over the years and as long as you don't force the film advance they do okay

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Super Ikonta B 531/16, 532/16 and BX 533/16 had autoframing mechanisms. You lose a frame with the 531 and 532 models.

Of course, all three are knob/key wind.
    Last edited by elekm; 12-13-2005 at 01:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: remove nonsensical sentence

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are hundreds, thousands of them (I'd say a winding knob is the exception today), but maybe you should better parametrize your concept of "cheap", and an approximate production year you are interested in.

The Pentacon Six, however, comes to mind together with the already reported Kiev 60...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't so much care about the production year- but cheap is definitely under $100. I'm hoping that there's some backwater folder I have never heard of that has a lever.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Fuji 645 folder has a lever advance, but you won't find a decent one for $100 or less unless the person doesn't know what they are selling. I have one, and although its reliability is less than I'd like, the lens produces incredibly sharp images.

Other Fuji's also use a lever, but they don't fold.

For low cost, Seagull made a folder 6x6 rangefinder with a film advance lever (but I think you still have to look through the red window to know when to stop advancing. It's in the $100 range if you can find one. There is one on ebay right now, Seagull 203.

Many TLRs had lever advance with automatic spacing.

Or, get an Agfa Record III, deal with the red window, knob winding, scale focussing, and enjoy the 6x9 negative size!

Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2.25 X 3.25 Graphic with Graflok Back and a Mamiya 6x7 Pro - S rollfilm Back. Depends on how you define cheap.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Mamiya 6x7 Pro - S rollfilm Back.
    100$ :rolleyes:
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that you will be able to get a used and servicable TLR for ebay for <$100.00
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin