Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,156   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

It's a question of optics...

After a search I haven't found an answer. I have a Sonnar 4/180mm lens for my Hasselblad and love the quality of portraits and landscape work. However, due to it's size and weight, it's difficult to travel with it. I travel in Mexico often and would like to move down in focal length, size, and weight to a 150mm or the makro-planar 120mm and use it as my prime lens. Travelling with the Hasselblad, one lens, and a spot meter would make me a happy camper. The question is this: are the optics as good, and is the differential in price due to the macro ability of the 120mm and/or superior or inferior optics. Opinions appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You shoot 8x10" and have trouble dealing with a 180mm lens on a medium format camera? Every time I move up in format, the other cameras seem smaller and smaller. I'm sure the Zeiss 150 and 120 Macro are fantastic lenses, but if you really like the 180, I'd just keep shooting the 180 and not worry about saving an ounce or two.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    David,
    Regarding the 8X10: As Michael Smith told me, "If it's more than 50 feet from the truck, it isn't worth photographing". I would consider more than 50 feet with the 8X10 travelling. I will go a little further with the medium format, but not much. Bad knees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep the 180 but cut the handle off your toothbrush, the margins from your maps, and the ends from your shoelaces. Remove the brim from your hat, cut out holes from your handkerchief, the bottom from your drinking cup. be resourceful and you'll manage to make the Hassie and 180 easier to travel with. never breakup a winning combination.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    The 180mm is slightly better than the 150mm. The 120 is a wonderful lens but at long distances will not equal the other 2 lenses mentioned. At close distances the 120 is superb.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest sticking with the 180 if your prefer that perspective and it is supposedly a better lens but then I have the 120 Makro and 150 Cfi and they are no duds either. The 150 isn't that much smaller but the 120 is quite a bit smaller/shorter than the 180. But then my favorite is the 100mm Planar followed by the 60mm Distagon (not exactly the choices for tight head shots but excellent for enviromental and the 100 is just as sharp as it is reputed to be. To each his own but if you have a favorite then by all means use it instead of a second choice. I've never used a 180 mm and by golly I'd better not as I would likely be wanting one of those as well!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used the 120mm for years with a lightphase back. It's a great lens but the 180 is a better length. The lightphase wasn't a full frame back so the digital crop helped out on the 120. If I was using film I would pick the 180 over the 120 for usefulness, but I doubt if I would only take one lens on the trip.
    -Rob Skeoch

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you like a 180, then use a 180. But to think that the 150 is somehow a lesser lens is like all the Leica crowd. They keep buying the new and improved model because they think it will turn them from a putz into a photographer. Not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    ...like all the Leica crowd.
    You know all of them? I've always wondered what Ernst Haas was like. Enlighten me.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As part of the "Leica crowd" who has never bought (or could afford) a new Leica lens, I humbly remain a putz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin