Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,357   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

pentax 67 Mirror lock up question

Hi everyone,
    I finally got myself a pentax 67. My first medium format camera. I have read the manuals and all, and it seemq really cool and not to hard to use.
    There is one thing though I can't figure out:

When pushing to mirror lock up button, indeed the mirror flips away and one can't see anything anymore trough the viewer. But how to undo that? Other than pressing the release button and actually making a photo?

Thanks for any help, Best regards Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can't. you've got to press the shutter release. If you've got multiple exposure capabilities like the 67II does then you can put the lens cap on, stop the lens all the way down, put shutter speed to 1000 and shoot the back of the lens cap, then just cock the shutter again and you're good to go.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    congrats on the new camera. i got a late model 67, and it's one of my favorite cameras now. i have the f4/45, my most used lens since i like wide angle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup...yer stuck! Be sure mirror lock-up is the very, very last thing you do.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, thanks for explaining, quess this is quite clear.
    I don't see why they don;t make a mechanism that automaticly triggers the mirror in sync with the exposuretime, but what the hell. I'll manage.
    In a few months it'll be a routine.
    I will surely get a 55 mm wide angle. and on longer terms a tele lens, for now I will use my 105mm, just like I mostly used my 50mm lens on my 35mm camera.

By the way: One more thing:

If I look trough the camera, ergo the lens, the image is somewhat warmer than in reality. Some orange like glow. My old camera had none of this. I checked if a filter was present in fornt of the lens, but that was not the case. Anyone a clue??

Thanks again, SAM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    ok, thanks for explaining, quess this is quite clear.
    I don't see why they don;t make a mechanism that automaticly triggers the mirror in sync with the exposuretime, but what the hell. I'll manage.
    In a few months it'll be a routine.
    Now I am confused, the mirror in the Pentax is synced with the exposure time and the shutter release, just as ever other camera I have ever used with the mirror lock up feature, all cameras that I have used in the last 25 years, the mirror lock up feature is the last thing you do before you make the exposure...??? but they have all been synced to the shutter so that it releases and comes back down after the exposure has been made!

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You are correct and thus it is with the Pentax 67. But - since the mirror on this camera is only slightly smaller than New Jersey, it is often manually locked up to avoid the small earthquake that occurs when it flips op. That way, you can wait for the shaking to stop b4 you trip the sutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax 67

I have several of these bodies. I love the camera. The previous posters pretty much covered the MLU question. To reiterate, the mirror flips up when you press the shutter and goes back down at the end of the exposure time. MLU is used when you don't want to endure the shake from the mirror. You push the MLU button, the mirror flips up, you press the shutter and the mirror returns after the exposure time.

The 105 lens tends to yellow as it ages. I don't remember if it's a coating or the type of glass that's used but I'm sure someone here will be able to elaborate.

Finally use a good battery. I used to use lithium but silver batteries are better for this camera especially if you are using the metered finder. I can't tell you the number of times that I've tripped the shutter only to have the mirror stay locked up because of a low battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    great post, thanks.
    Only weird that the lens tends to yellow with age, can someone elaborate on that matter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3 points.

a. The mirror locked up can be released by depressing a tiny black button on the front left ( if you are facing the camera ) and then hitting the shutter button.
    see attached image

b. The early 70's Pentax lenses sometimes used glass with trace amounts of radioactive elements that decay over time causing this "yellowing" effect. You can undo this by letting the lens sit and get hit by sunlight ( UV ) over a period of time. Otherwise, the yellowing will warm the photos you take. The lens is NOT dangerous but I wouldnt keep it close to your eyes for any length of time...see http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00D80Y

c. read about Pentax 67 lenses here

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/p67ss.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pl.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin