Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,823   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [size=2]Lee, several years ago I took out a loan and bought a mint condition 500cm and an 80mmCF lens. A year later, with the loan paid I bought a 45 degree metered prism [PME45] and over the years have added a 40mmCF, 120mmCF, 150mmCF and some extention tubes.

Its really the best thing I ever did.

Before I bought anything a friend of mine gave me his copy of the book[/size][size=2] "E. Wildi Hasselblad Manual 4th Edition". This can be found on ebay for approx $20-30. I'd highly recommend picking up this book.

Hope your back is better by now. I get some back pain mostly when I put on a few pounds around my stomach. Exercise and a better diet always sorts my back problems, weird I know!
    [/size]

Shooter
    8x10 Format

prism for Blad

Lee
    I have to 2nd and 3rd the recs for getting a prism for the blad. A waist level finder can really be a pain in the back. I splurged and got the meter prism. Just push the button for a perfect exposure. Sometimes perfect and sometimes not but if you key the meter readings along with basic exposure/zone system knowledge you can make it work just like a hand held meter.
    Jack

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I dunno about that. Wandering hands can be very satisfying in the end.
    Won't do your back any good though!

Seriously, it might be worth your seeing either a physiotherapist or an osteopath. I underwent quite a few weeks of physio for a bad back (whiplash and too much I.T.) a couple of years ago and it helped me no end.

Feel better soon, mate!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Terence
    A12 back "auto loads" & the 12 back you have to peek through a hole in the back under the ISO reminder plate to set up the 1st frame.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Going against the grain, and since you are thinking about this purchase, may I ask if have you considered any other 6x6 slr while at it? I only bring this up as a 501 owner who thinks the Rollei, in particular, is a better buy and a better camera . . .
    Which particular Rollei did you have in mind?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding
    Which particular Rollei did you have in mind?
    I have an older model 6006 but I wouldn't buy that one, not becasue it's not good, but because you can get a newer body with average, spot and centerweighted metering in the body and still use a waist finder without spending the additional cash on a bulkier meter. I wound up buying the Kiev meter for my Hassy, as I couldn't afford a metering finder at the time, and the added bulk just turned me to off to even carrying it. My pick for a Rollei would be an older 6008 pro model WITH the handle. Btw, my HFT 80mm is amazingly sharp and is reviewed as such. I recently saw a body go for what seemed to me a reasonable cost on Ebay. But as I say, everybody has their preferences.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I remembered something about lifting the flap on the back but couldn't remember if it was just to start the film or a ruby window for every film advance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a 503CW last summer and it is very fun to use. I would have done just as well with a 501cm however as I don't use the ttl feature. Figure on buying at least three backs since one of the joys of this type of photography is being able to have the right film for the job in the camera. Industrial jewelry is an apt description of this equipment. I am not much of a photographer though, so my opinions are based more on my enjoyment of using the equipment as opposed to a discriminating eye.

Shooter
    Medium Format

The source for Hasselblad information

I was doing the "which MF camera to buy" dance, went to a local camera store where they had a few used Hasselblads. After the salesguy mounted a 200 series lens on a 500 series camera (don't recall which ones) and handed it to me, I knew three things: (1) there was no shutter on that combo; (2) I found the camera that I wanted, and (3) I was going to have to learn about the system on my own. My next purchase was a copy of "The Hasselblad Manual" by Ernst Wildi; it was the best purchase I could have had made! I strongly encourage anybody who is serious about the purchase of Hasselblad equipment to read this book first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings Lee: Just about all your questions about the camera, lenses and accessories are answered in Ernst Wildi's book "The Hasselblad Manual which I believe is now in its fifth edition, published in 2000. He's probably got a newer one in the mill by now.

Briefly however, as far as magazines are concerned, the newer magazines designated with an "A", are the automatic mags with a couple of features not found on the older
    ones. When you load an older non-A mag, there's a window in the back of the mag. that when opened, allows you to view the paper on the film backing while you advance to the first frame so you can stop advancing when you get there.

When you load an A mag and advance to the first frame, the A's automatically stop at the first frame and won't go further until the shutter (or some tool) has tripped the release-advance mechanism. There's no film backing viewing window. They also have an exposure indicator built in under the film crank. The black dot release is just the older type of A magazine. It has a black dot on the magazine-camera release button on the top of the mag. Newer mags, have a number like 12 or 24 instead of the dot. The darkslide holder is nice on the newer mags but a piece of velcro wrapped around the darkslide handle and a velcro button glued to the side of the body makes a very handy darkslide holder.

If you're not in need of the OTF flash metering mode, then the 500CM is a good choice. Unlike the older C's the CM or newer bodies have interchangable screens, although not all CM's (or other newer models) are supplied with the acute matte screen. Some folks take them out and replace them with older screens before they sell them. They're pretty pricey new but about 1/2 price in good clean used condition at KEH. There are a lot of other minor differences between models and for those I'll defer to the Wildi book.

Speaking of KEH, they're an excellent source for used equipment, especially Hassies. IMHO their bargain grade gear has always been in very good to even excellent condition. It's somewhat surprising. Very fair prices, knowledgable sales reps (call the 404 AC number) and if you need it, a very fair return policy and good warranty.

And you're right, btw, I can't see the prices coming down any lower than they are now. In the past year, I've picked up some extra mags, a spare stovepipe finder and some other stuff for really reasonable prices from them.

Hope your back improves soon. Have you tried the age-old cure of having a hot roll in bed with honey? :>)
    Take it light.
    Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin