Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,165   Online: 808

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Medium Format with monopod?

I travel to Mexico quite often to visit my wife's family. I normally take a small 35mm rangefinder and a beanbag with me, but this time I am going to take my Hasselblad. I always use a tripod, however I need to keep things light and compact. The question is: Has anyone had experience using a monopod under a medium format with any descent success? Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used one over the holidays with my 'Blad, but I haven't developed the film yet. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a monopod with reasonable success.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only for about 20 years now, I am one of those photographers, who uses what ever will work in the situation I am in, if it gives you the support you need, there is no reason not to use the monopod.

Dave

I once managed a photo studio. We had a fashion shooter who insisted on hand-holding his 'Blad. We insisted he try a monopod. His percentage of sharp images improved significantly. Even he admitted it.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I regularly use a monopod with a vintage Ensign Selfix 820 6x9 folder. This is'nt the easiest of camera types to look through and operate, but with a 105mm lens and no real strong winds a shutter speed of 1/25 is no problem. I would imagine a Hassleblad - especially with a WLF would suit a monopod much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, square format cameras, like the 6x6cm Hassleblad, work better on a monopod when compared to rectangular format cameras, like the 35mm cameras, because I don’t have to worry about portrait or landscape orientation. Also, I find it easier to steady the waist level monopod height of the waist level cameras verses the eyelevel monopod height of 35mm cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use monopod as much as possible, but especially with MF, when a tripod isn't convenient. I always put a quick release attachment on the monopod to make it easier to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, mine is a slik 6205 and I use it as a walking stick as well. It works great.

Curt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks all; I'm sold!

Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin