Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,874   Online: 946

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy Smith of Holgamods:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334071291.419707.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	49236

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334071369.400853.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	49238
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334071327.341670.jpg  
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been looking at his site since yesterday. I have three Hawkeye's coming to me. One is the OLD model, before the flash model, and the other two are flash models.

I'm going to flip the lens on one flash model, and leave the other in tact. I would like to put a cable release on one of them, as well as a tripod mount, so maybe I'll send it to Randy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, start looking for the cheap push-on portrait diopter (#13?). It's well worth the dollar or two they go for these days. Here's one of mine after a flip:

Name:	img006aFE640x.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	49239

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nah, the Hawkeye is too modern for me -- I use a Target Six-20.

The PITA of re-spooling 120 pretty well limits my use these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And speaking of network problems -- got strange prompts when I attempted to send this and now there's two? Oy!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread for two reasons. I just bought two of these on eBay, one was $4 and the other was $9. I plan on cleaning them up and using them for more 6x6 fun.

1 - It looks like the earlier models had a nice metal advance knob, instead of the later boring plastic one. Are the advance knobs hard to switch out?

2 - If you end up with a model that doesn't particular care for 120 reels, are the reel modifications difficult? From what I've researched its looks like its just a little filing and clipping. I prefer to modify 120 reels as I'm not to sure that I'd be able to re-spool it properly.
    IIRC, the one with the metal knob may be happier with 120 spools.

Getting 120 spools to work properly in the newer cameras is a pain in the rump. Especially the spools that have a "cross" shaped hole in the end. What does seem to work (or, at least worked ok for me) was to use a proper 620 spool for the take-up. Not a problem if you develop your own but it can be disastrous if you send film out for processing and do not get your 620 spool back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have my Mother's Brownie Hawkeye that was used as the family picture taker back in the 50s but it hasn't been used in many years. We have many sharp B&W pics from this camera. I think my first camera was a Brownie Holiday that used 127 film.
    Marvin

Shooter
    127 Format
    My BHF is my BFF !

I have one form 12/51 with the metal knob and glass lens

I had to take it all apart for a good deep cleaning when I got it (Paid 99 cents), It's like new now and I shoot 4 or 5 rolls a year. Mine easily accepts 120 film in the supply side with a 620 spool on the take up. I develop my own B&W and C-41 so as to not risk losing that 620 spool.

Of course there is a Flickr Group dedicated to the Brownie Hawkeye Flash: http://www.flickr.com/groups/browniehawkeyeflash/

Ha! I see you've already found it, Christopher!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have Bill! I joined day before yesterday.

I have 4 Hawkeyes on the way to me, only one is the pre-flash model though. I bought them all on eBay or Etsy. The most expensive was $15, but it's whistle clean and has an exposed roll in it.

I know that I want to keep two in original condition, but the other two I want to clean, paint, and flip the lens in.

I'm also going on an antique store run tomorrow to see how many I can find. I can't wait to get my first ones in and start shooting them!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You'd think for 70 bucks he's make it take 120 film without issue...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin