Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,117   Online: 845

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To make the 120 spool fit the small metal tabs better cut short pieces of plastic drinking straws for bushings on the 120 spool. About 1/8 inch long to 1/2 depending on the film spool you have. I just poke the straw in and cut it off with scissors.

It doesn't help the fact that the take up side is way too narrow, but it keeps the supply side from slipping into the slot and getting stuck.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post

I know that I want to keep two in original condition, but the other two I want to clean, paint, and flip the lens in.
    There is one gal in the Flickr group who has painted up a bunch with metalflake colors. A lot of fun.

I am not one who appreciates the flipped lens thing.

Happily, the Brownie Hawkeye can easily be returned to normal. I hope if you sell them on you put the lens back right or the new owner will wonder what's wrong with it!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have two... one kept "normal" and one I "flipped". I have several 620 spools that I put in the takeup side. 120 spools fit just fine on the film side.

These are great fun and a great way to start conversations when shooting in public.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I hope if you sell them on you put the lens back right or the new owner will wonder what's wrong with it!

Unless I get hooked on them, and start doing what Randy does (which I highly doubt will happen) I don't plan on selling these at all. I've become fond of the collecting part of analog photography. I now have 4 Polaroids, 4 Brownies, 2 Certo Phot's, and a Bencini Koroll II. I also have a Nikon FM, Minolta X700, the Hassy, a Holga, a Mamiya 500 DTL, and a few others.

The thing that I think I am going to like about the Brownies is that they are so simple, and so loved by others that there are TONS of tutorials and photos on how to modify, clean, and restore them. I have found a diagram with detailed pictures for just about anything that I think I'd want to do with one.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Somewhere there's an animation of a Brownie Hawkeye Flash coming apart in pieces and going back together again. Can't remember where but it was a fun, clever, video.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you guys suggest for cleaning/restoring them? I know to use bike chain lubricant for the internal parts, and soap and water for the glass parts, but what about the bakelite body itself?

Some sites are saying metal polish, others are saying mild abrasives like soft scrub or brasso. I'm thinking soap and water and a sponge, and then some auto wax?

Suggestions? Or should I start a new thread?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brownie Hawkeye #1 of 5 has arrived!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334353143.699706.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	49430

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ChristopherCoy, I just bought my first one off eBay this past week as well, and received it a couple days ago. I immediately unscrewed the front and cleaned up the lens, viewfinder, and whatnot, with a cotton swab dipped in Windex. Mine's a 3/1960 vintage from the date code. Have fun with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This one is a 05/57 model. I just got back from Walmart to pick up a set of precision screw drivers. I took before pictures and I'm about to set in on cleaning it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man that is an easy camera to take apart!! Preliminary cleaning is done, even took the clip off the handle and polished the locking mechanism. Now I just need to research bakelite polishing and the outside will be spiffy! Surpisingly there wasn't any rust or anything on the internal mechanics, and everything works fine! I flipped the lens in this one too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beforeweb.jpg   Afterweb.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin