Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,000   Online: 868

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Brownie Hawkeye - any users?

Found this old Brownie Hawkeye at Mom's over the Christmas Holiday. Was thinking of trying some images with it.

I have surfed the web and found some neat sites giving suggestions/hints/tips, and have a good idea of what I need to do.

I was wondering if there were any users on APUG?
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. Put some 620 film in it, and you are ready to go. Some of them will take 120, but you need a 620 takeup spool. Any 100 ISO film should be just fine.
    here is a sample:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfobrie...in/set-856978/
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Had a couple. They're great fun. Both of mine were the later ones that were not happy with 120 spools in the supply side. I got tired of re-spooling 120 and put them aside. Go for it and have fun....oh, and make sure you cover the ruby glass window on the back with something opaque. Black electrical tape or gaffers tape works well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one too, of the Flash model with a bracket. I got the whole set for 10$ and today I received a pack of Press 25B bulbs.... If you can use bulbs with it, see the answers to my questions about them in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/21923-kodalite-iv-flash.html
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one which I have yet to use - does the 620 film fit 120 developing reels?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes it does. The film is the same size, the only difference is in the spools that the film comes on.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one of those when I was in 7th grade. Got a bunch of great pictures from it before it got dropped and the bakelite chipped, then got several more rolls with black tape over the chip. Like many other simple cameras, they produce pictures far better than their cheap construction and simple lense and shutters would suggest. And if you prefer a "Holga" look, the later models (with the plastic advance knob) have a lens that can be reversed in its mount to produce a curved field -- sharp center, but very rapidly falling off focus toward the edges.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't used mine for a few years, but you can respool 120 film easily. Hawkeyes are cool, and you'd be amazed how many people (even teenagers) get a kick out of seeing you using one.
    Have some fun with yours!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm resurrecting this thread for two reasons. I just bought two of these on eBay, one was $4 and the other was $9. I plan on cleaning them up and using them for more 6x6 fun.

1 - It looks like the earlier models had a nice metal advance knob, instead of the later boring plastic one. Are the advance knobs hard to switch out?

2 - If you end up with a model that doesn't particular care for 120 reels, are the reel modifications difficult? From what I've researched its looks like its just a little filing and clipping. I prefer to modify 120 reels as I'm not to sure that I'd be able to re-spool it properly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think there's just a metal tab that gets in the way, and you can bend it. I have a 1959 version. The shutter is 1/40s and the apeture is around f16, maybe f22. I shoot b&w film in it, usually ISO 400. I vary exposure by using filters to eat up 1, 2, 3 stops of light as needed. Usually those filters are a yellow, orange, or red. Sometimes I use ND.

Kent in SD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin