Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,988   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolleiflex TLR - My new toy

Well finally I've got a fully working 2.8f Rolleiflex, I picked it up only an hour ago. Now the question is going to be, over the long term will my favorite be the 'new' tlr Rollei or my 'old' Bronica ETR? Would any one venture odd for one over the other?

I'll just go and push a film through it now - so long as it don't start raining again...

Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm betting that you'll end up liking the Rollei better!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Being a TLR fan, I suggest you run much film through that Rollei. I only have a Rollei "copy" (a Yashica) and that I have lots of fun with.

Be sure and let us know what good comes out of it.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I was out with my R'cord yesterday and -as always-was thrilled to have such a well engineered precision medium format image-making device that's weighs in at less than a pound. Did I mention that the weight includes a Schneider lens and a magnifier for the ground glass ?
    You'll also notice that people respond very differently to TLRs -great for candids and portraits. Try some PAN F and shoot it wide open!
    And then theres the "WOW" factor from interesting and sometimes beautiful strangers...
    Do I sound biased?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TLR's are a weakness of mine. I've got a Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleicord Vb, 1 Yashica LM, 1 Yashica EM and a Yaschica D. I did have a couple of Autocords but sold them. There's something about using a TLR that feels right for me.

My favourite is the Vb because of its weight and surprisingly sharp lens.

Like you I had a medium format SLR (500 c/m) but sold it as it got very little use.

As stated previously they are a great conversation starter, usually "Hey my dad had one like that". Great cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds familiar---I have had both a Hasselblad 501C/M and a 503 CX for several years now and I picked up a RolleiFlex 3,5 F with Planar lens about a year and a half ago--it was just serviced at purchase by Harry Fleenor and a Maxwell Precision Optics split image focus screen installed by Harry. Bet you'd never guess my favorite MF camera to use??? The RolleiFlex wins hands down-- a fabulous camera and just as sharp as the Hasselblads' Planar. I was so delighted by the RolleiFlex 3,5 that I now have several incluing the 2,8 Planar,a 3,5 and 2,8 Xenotar, another 3,5 Planar with 12/24, several Tele (135 Zeiss Sonnar) models, good gosh someone slap me!! Get the picture ? (pun intended!) fine Cameras with 1st rate optics that can produce stunning images--I'm rather partial to Ilford FP4+ in the RolleiFlex and the lens contrast is just perfect for portraits. EXCELLENT!!
    Joseph Burke
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted
    So far the two things I most love about the Rollei are its so quiet shutter ( the Bronica really went off with a bang) and the viewfinder does not stay blanked out after the exposure.
    Yup, those are two great features of TLR. I think you'll be even happier after printing. Did you shoot on tripod? I usually shoot my Rollei using a monopod and have never been dissatisied with the quality of the neg. The quality of subject matter and composition, of course, are a totally diffferent issue ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow Jack... one of us needs to check our time zone settings! Did I really respond to your post before you wrote it????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the English weather has been up to its usual appalling norm. Managed however to shoot off one roll and dev the film. Haven't yet had the time to do any prints but looking at the negs through the enlarger and focus finder they certainly seem nice and sharp.

So far the two things I most love about the Rollei are its so quiet shutter ( the Bronica really went off with a bang) and the viewfinder does not stay blanked out after the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I f you can live with the standard size non-changeable lens not much can beat the Rolleiflexes.
    I like using standard size lenses and use my Rolleiflex 2,8F a lot. I have the Xenotar which is the Schneider version.

The rolleis are easy to use, inconspicuous and perfectly usable for street and situational photography.

I am still looking for a Rolleiflex T in perfect condition for I love tessar design lenses with tri-x.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin