Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,695   Online: 872

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vivitar flash on Mamiya 645 Pro?

I've recently acquired a Mamiya 645 Pro (non TL) and wanted to know if I could use a Vivitar 283 flash head on it. I've heard conflicting reports that say some older flash units (this one is from the 70's) put out higher voltage and can fry the circuits on some newer camera bodies. I don't have the manual on this flash so I was wondering if the two are compatable or if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daniel,

I have been using a vivitar 273 for many years now on all of my 645s with no problems.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Vivitar on my Mamiya 645, no problems to report.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Dave. From what I gather the problems mostly result from using old flash units on modern/highly automated 35mm SLR's but I wasn't sure. I also heard that the newer versions of Vivitar 283's use less voltage and are OK but the ancient ones can be a problem so I wasn't sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on your new camera. I, too, use a Pro TL and really, really like it. Unfortunately I can't advise on flash as I shoot modern Metz flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Robert. I really like this camera and I also use a 645 Super that conked out on me but with a CLA its as good as new and with a backup body I figure I'm prepared for anything! lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a 645 Super that I used my 283 on quite often. I have also used the 283 on a Pentax *isd D**** camera with no problems. I do have the newer Korean made 283.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also read the reports about the older 283 putting out high voltages and even in some cases damaging the pc socket contacts. However I've used it on several TLRs, a Hasselblad and an old Olympus with no ill effects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

CAUTION

The high voltage units work fine on older cameras - it is the newer ones that are vulnerable. The more electronics, the more vulnerable.

Mamiya advises caution - I have been specifically warned that my old Metz 202 is likely to damage my 645 Super or 645 Pro. The leaf shutters on my C330, however, are fine with the 202. The answer with respect to my Metz 60CT1 or 2 is, maybe.

A couple of years ago I was speaking with a camera technician who advised that one of the most common repair requests they get now is to fix either digital or small modern 35mm cameras with either a pc socket or hotshoe, that have been "fried" by using an older flash.

The damage can either be instantaneous, or cumulative.

Here is a link to a site that lists trigger voltages for a large number of flashes, and related recommendations:
    trigger voltages

Please note that I haven't independently verified any of this.

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin