Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,847   Online: 947

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best tripod for a pentax 645 600mm lens.

Best tripod for a pentax 645 600mm lens.

I have a couple of tripods, and one is a 4# Velbon lightweight carbon fiber tripod that i bought for a lightweight hiker mostly to use with my 4x5 folder for landscapes. It is rated at 25# and is adequate for short lens MF and 4x5 with a shortish draw, and it is pretty stiff, especially stiffer in the column area. It a lot stiffer than my bogen is for sure. I had a big Giottos and it was very heavy duty and stiff, rated for 26# but you could twist the neck and get movement. Not too great, but it could handle an 8x10 camera. IMO for a 600mm lens the Velbon is not going to be enough.

I already plan to get a Wimberly head for the monster, and am thinking about a berlebach. Anybody have another recommendation at around $300. I want something really solid I can use for 8x10 also.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Eifle Tower!!!! LOL

No Really, I used a Gitzo with the one I had, and still continue to use it with my 600 f/4 35mm lens, I have also used an old Davis and Sanford as well as a Reis with my big glass

Anything lower than a bogen 3221 is not going to give you the support you need, and yes the wimberly is the best way to go for a head, that is a big piece of glass!

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Look here for really excellent tripod gear.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a gitzo 1325 which is the same as the 1327 but w/o center column. I've only been using it since Christmas but it's very solid with my 67II's nasty shutter and B1 ballhead. It's also plenty tall enough for me w/o a center column, i'm 6'2". Just don't get sand in the leg locks.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Ammons
    . I had a big Giottos and it was very heavy duty and stiff, rated for 26# but you could twist the neck and get movement.

If it's like mine I'm going to guess you didn't have the centre column raised at all. On mine you need to raise it 1 or 2". Something like that. Tighten it like that and it doesn't move. OTOH keep the centre column down and it does move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like your carbon fiber tripod would probably do the job. They are strong and stable, and they seem to resist shock pretty well. The Pentax 645 doesn't have a real bad mirror slap or shutter release shock. You might try to set up a test comparing results on that tripod between the 600mm and a shorter lens for roughly similar image sizes. What you choose for 8X10 may be overkill for 645. If you do have to go for something bigger than you have, both carbon and wood are attractive. The wood Berlebach are very nice and quite sturdy, but they have some real disadvantages, too. They have limited extensions, and you have to extend the upper sections of the legs before the lower sections, because of the way the clamps work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin