Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,129   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB Telephoto's

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

RB Telephoto's

My one and only RB lens is a 127C which is quite sharp with good contrast. I'm thinking that I'd like to go longer, especially for the distance shots that always seem to appeal to me. I'm just wondering what your favorite long lens is in the line, and what type of shots you use it for. Examples would be nice if you have them, or links to them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Wayne,

I have the 50, 90, and 180. Most of my work is either the 50 or the 180. I usually find my images are made with the 50 when I'm shooting landscape or found scenes (or whatever you call it when the scene is not exactly a landscape, but not necessarily abstract...). I occasionally use the 180 for these types of scenes, but use it almost exclusively for portraiture. Two examples:
    Found scene: http://bristolbayartists.com/troyhamon/id35.htm
    Portraits: http://bristolbayartists.com/troyhamon/id55.htm
    The top two photos in the portrait example are with the 180.

I haven't tried any of the other telephotos, but I have thought about getting one. The one thing I would say is that you ought to give serious thought to exactly what range of focal lengths you want and how many options within that range. I got my current set of three when I bought a used RB kit 10 years ago. The 65 and 127 occasionally would be helpful, but honestly I can't imagine choosing to carry them in addition to the lenses I have. Lenses that double each other are functionally different enough that there is a clear utility for each of them in the arsenal even when choosing what to pack for a backpack shoot.

With that in mind, if I were in your situation and interested in a longer telephoto, I might consider the 250. In my case, I've thought about the 360 or the 500 to allow me the option of shooting some of my wildlife images on medium format instead of 35 mm, but can't imagine using it enough to justify the cost. Depends on what you are wanting. I haven't got any experience with the 250, so can't really say anything about it, but I can tell you that the 180 has spectacular bokeh, as good as any I've ever seen, and it makes wonderful portraits.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Althugh I love the 127, I could pass it off and pickup a 90 in which case a 180 might be prudent. I'll wait to hear any thoughts on the 250 which is at reasonable prices nowdays. I've been wanting to do more Everglades stuff, but it's such an expansive place for a standard lens and if you can't get into it by airboat you really don't have much opportunities except for birds in dry season at the sloughs. Since I'm not a bird shooter per se', it makes it hard. Maybe I'll post a thread on a few of us hiring an airboat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an RZ. The lenses have are the 50mm4.5W, 75 3.5L, 140mm Macro, 210 mm Apo. I find all of the lenses satisfactory. These are the only Mamiya that I have used. I cannot comment on any other lenses for the RB in a useful fashion. I believe that all are available for the RB.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

MF Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I'm just wondering what your favorite long lens is in the line, and what type of shots you use it for.
    Hasselblad C 50mm, 80mm, and 150mm plus a 2x converter. Use the 80mm most although the 50 might be used equally? The 150mm mostly for portraiture and when I'm reaching on a lanscape (also the 2x, little used). However, my kit is 45 lbs. (Hassleblad lenses are heavy)
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work Troy. I liked the work on your website too.
    Ara

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon
    Hi Wayne,
    Found scene: http://bristolbayartists.com/troyhamon/id35.htm
    Portraits: http://bristolbayartists.com/troyhamon/id55.htm
    The top two photos in the portrait example are with the 180.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ara, Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. I get frustrated thinking about it at the moment because I haven't developed a photo for 12 months...bought a new house, no space to set up the darkroom, building a permanent one (which is good when I finish), and have become unbelievably backlogged. I'm looking forward very much to finishing the construction project so I can put some new work up on the website...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Definetly like the work as well; Especially the attic shot.

Hopefully some 250mm shooter will pipe in on the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started with the 90 and added the 140 macro. An amazing lens capable of stunning close-up work and portraiture...but probably too close to the 127 if that's what you've got. I'm temped to pick up the 180, but have not been tempted by the 250. In the part of the world in which I live, the horizon is always close and the landscapes are usually intimate. I have little use for longer lenses in most formats, given the limitations of the landscape in these parts.

Best of luck...I hope someone with the 250 responds as I'd love to hear what someone thinks of the lens.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a later model 250 C that I bought a couple of months ago, but haven't used much yet. There are a couple of rolls of Tri-x waiting for me to process them today on which I shot a few frames with the lens, so I'll soup them and let you know how the negs look later today. Bear in mind that I can't offer any scientific testing nor comparisons with any other lenses, but I'll be glad to offer my impresswions based upon the negatives. I'm a lousy printer, so I'll just examine the negs and find sonmeone who knows what they are doing to print them if there's anything worthwhile. I also have a 65mm and 127mm and have been very happy with them.

Best regards,

Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin