Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,225   Online: 803

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How's it doin'?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...a guy from Kodak..."

I would be very careful what I take out of their mouths right now, for several reasons. First off, toeig of the party line. Secondly, it seems that Kodak could pay for all their employees toget a degree in both proctology AND geology and still collectively not know their asses from holes in the ground...
    Unlike some people's backwards analysis, it is Kodak, not its cutomers who are responsible for the self-fulfilling prophecy of the downfall of its film line up.
    But I digress.
    As to getting into MF - right now, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than a RB67 outfit. Its absolutely the most camera for your $$$ right now, bar none. A system that was for a long time the sole domain of the professionals - and perhaps only the better paid of those, it can be yours now for about $300. And this is a system - one you can grow with, one with few limitations other than its bulky size. You can start off with a 90mm lens, wlf, and one back - and as you need them, buy accessorries as you go. Some of the lenses are still fairly pricey, but not when you look in terms of their quality and what you would have to pay for similar lenses for other MF systems. And I have yet to see someone conclusively prove that there is anything out there that outright beats the mamiya glass.

You can also pick up a Yashica TLR if you want to go on the cheap - I have seen functional ones go for about $50 if you hunt patiently. The really cheap options, like Lubitels, etc., I find to be pretty difficult to get along with and may be discouraging to a newcomer (this is coming from a person who counts themselves among Lubitel owners and enthusiasts).

Looking at film, I doubt there is any imminent threat of shortage. Perhaps some brands and types will disappear, but overall, you will have a decent amount of choice for a long time to come. Especially in B&W, but also in colour (Fuji). And that is before you count second hand supplies, people selling their freezer-loads, sotres getting rid off soon to be expired film, etc.

No worries. Join in the fun.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor

I'm waiting for about $1500-2000 to get me started.
    I know I can get used equipment for low prices, but If I'm going to enter MF, I plan to do it right, with the smell of a brand new camera, and all that...
    For about £3500 you could get a virtually unused Bronica SQ or ETRSi AND a LEAF digital back. That's how silly the prices are getting over here.

As for cheap entry to try MF a Yashicamat or Mamiya TLR can be had very cheaply on e-bay and gnashings suggestion of a Lubitel is the really low cost alternative (about $20 to $30 with a light meter and film - no there is not a 0 missing) but it is a dog to use (some great pics though mine are not brilliant but
    gives an idea of what you can get with an incompetent such as me behind the lens)

Go on try it - but be prepared to forget where your 35mm gear has gone because it won't come out to play so often

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is very little sense of spending $1500 - $2000 to "get started", or to have the "new camera smell", when with todays prices, you can collect a complete system for that money. Having every lens you may need or want, as well as several backs and finders would be more valuable to me than a smell... but that's just me. Then again, dropping huge $$$ for a name alone is not unheard of here or anywhere else - but, if you are looking to just get into it, I would suggest that form follows function.

And digiconvert... my turn: that photo looks familiar

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ed I don't where you are from, but I thought I'd mention that if there was a possibility of a photo show coming around, you might check out a few different cameras and see what attracts your interest. It's a good way to pickup and handle the different brands. You don't have to necessairly buy, but you can have fun looking and you'll probably meet attendee's that can comment on the stuff your looking at.

I mention the above as there was just a show down in Miami, the bigger of a couple that come around. I saw some good deals and some prices that showed me that not everyone is shopping Ebay, being that they were high. Show attendence was off but still there were alot of people buying, and since nowdays most of these shows are film equipment mostly, I could see that film is still viable in alot of peoples minds. Btw, there were quite a few young ones roaming around looking at 35mm equipment and buying.

MF is viable and equipment pricing is very very good; Sometimes amazingly good. The reference to the Mamiya 6x7 above I concur with if you can carry a larger camera, Hassy and Rollei lenses are still higher priced; Accesssories can be bought at more reasonable prices then before tho. I believe better deals in MF can be found in 645 right now. TLR's, especially Rollei's are very popular and sought after.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    I plan to do it right, with the smell of a brand new camera, and all that...
    I'll be bold and advocate that "doing it right" means buying used from a reliable source such as KEH and investing the savings from the price difference into film, paper, and chemistry. I doubt there will ever be a gallery showing of new camera smell.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Given the choice between the "new camera smell" and a couple of extra lenses and backs, I'll take the latter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cao
    I'll be bold and advocate that "doing it right" means buying used from a reliable source such as KEH and investing the savings from the price difference into film, paper, and chemistry. I doubt there will ever be a gallery showing of new camera smell.

Well I'm not a pro, so I'm not buying camera equipment for other people, but for myself. So for me It's about enjoyment at the end of the day. And If I'm going to spend a lot of money on something, I'd at least like it to be new and not have to wonder all the time about its history, who cleaned it, how, who spilled what over it, who scratched it etc..

I've bought a few used things in the past, the mental satisfaction is just not there.

And unless you are making money from photography, it's all about mental satisfaction in the end

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not bought a new, new camera for so many years, I really don't remember the experiance, I do know that even with the used gear I have purchased, the Mental Satisfaction is there at the end of every day, and I enjoy the fact that for the same amount of limited income I have, that I have been able to purchase the extras to exploit the format I am using, there are many, many used systems on the market, that have been viturally un-used, many over the years have purchased with the thought in mind I am going to keep this till the day I die and wear it out, in truth, most of the time that does not happen, and often times, they sit in the boxes, for shear usuability, I like to buy stuff that has been used a bit, and if there were bugs in it, has been worked out. I bought a new car once and after finding out how long I had to pay for it, decided that something a bit used and saving the money for the extras to make it mine went alot farther.

What ever your choice, have fun, the format will be around for quite some time to come.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format

I'm waiting for about $1500-2000 to get me started.
    I know I can get used equipment for low prices, but If I'm going to enter MF, I plan to do it right, with the smell of a brand new camera, and all that...
    I bought Mamya RB proS, 127mm f3,8 lens, 2x120 magazine, and polaroid magazine for 600 USD... I belive that is right entering into MF, for haf price you estimate Ed. Other half for films paper and chemistry. Just a thought...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Mamiya M645J + 150mm lens that works very well. I just don't use it and any money I could make for it could be used better, such as getting a darkroom started. Let me know if your interested. Thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin