Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,900   Online: 1062

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How's it doin'?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'll have to try and enter through a smaller door..

There is this man who is kinda family, that has an old Yashica medium format camera, he bought it new and was extreamly paranoid about its condition, and it was only used in studio for portraits. So it's in perfect condition.
    I'll have to call him to see the price and which model is it.

But how gould would such a camera be for entry level medium format photography?

How were the lenses on these old Yashicas?
    Can I expect optical image quality comparable at least to modern cheap SLR kit zooms?

And how reliable are they? do they brake down often?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I'd say jump right in, but then again, I just bought a Super-8 camera, so maybe I'm just crazier than the rest.
    Crazy? No way David, the look is something very special with that film.
    I would like to have a 16mm Bolex from Switzerland, but the negotiations with the "Boss" are though at the present, I`m facing big budget cuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOLEX-16mm-Movie...ayphotohosting

Cheers and have fun with the Super 8!

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Yashicas are great. I've got one and I've been really happy with it. I recently bought a Hasselblad and I'm even happier with that...

I would NOT buy a new camera. If personal satisfaction is about having a "new smelling camera" and not about making a photograph, then go ahead and spend the money. You'll be like the man who buys a Ferarri to smell the leather inside, and not actually drive the car. It's about making a photograph, or at least that's where the satisfaction should be. Used gear can be had for much less, you can get much more for your dollar, and if bought from the right place it can be in excellent condition.

That said, enjoy MF. It'll be around for a while longer, and it's great fun. Hell, look at Super8; people are still messing around with it and it "died" ages ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not about the smell, I just don't want to be wondering when and if the thing is going to brake down. Let's face it, used good MF gear is almost as expensive as cheap new MF gear, and that's a lot of money, at least for me. So if I'm going to spend that much money, I'd like to think I did everything in my power to make it last. Buying used gear can be a russian rullet sometimes. Not because someone is trying to cheat you, but because things just have their time

I've been looking at prices of new stuff again..

and I've found a combination that is not so unrealistic for me to buy in the following year.
    Its Mamiya 645 pro TL body + Sekor C f2.8/80mm + 120 film back

All that for about $1600, and I'd have to use the focusing screen for a while.
    Too bad I don't live in US, the same kind of combination costs even less in US (about $1200 at B/H) and importing would cost me even more than the local price

This is the cheapest new combination that I could come up with

In about a year I could buy that.

But I might get a Yashica first to play with MF till then.

I don't know, these things are just so darn expensive

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor
    Let's face it, used good MF gear is almost as expensive as cheap new MF gear...
    I think if you read the replies in this thread... you will see that this statement is completely inaccurate. I think that is what most folks here were trying to tell you.
    Also, most MF gear is built to pro standards, used by pros who take good care of their equipment - I doubt you will see any relaibility issues with most of it.
    But, hey, its your purchase.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, for example at BH photo

used Hasselblad kit, is about 2000-2500 dollars, while a new Mamiya kit can be as low as $1600

It kind of proves my point, good MF used gear is as expensive or even more expensive than new entry-level MF gear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normally you will find the pro level gear is in better shape and more of a pleasure to use than the entry level gear. Of course the system you have cited in your example can be had for alot less money, B&H on gear tends to be one of the higher priced pre-owned sellers..And the Hassy New was considerably more money.

I would certainly not consider the Mamiya as an entry level system, it in its own right is a good workhorse pro system and many of us have used them for years with no problems.

When speaking about entry level MF gear, I always think of Seagul and such, if you buy a Mamiya, Hassy, Etc your not looking at a entry level gear selection.

I guess the point is, many of us here have and continue to purchase pre owned gear that serves us very well for a long time, but the only one that can say what is right for you, is of course you..

Good luck in your choice, there is lots to choose from out there..

Dave

cao
    Shooter
    35mm

RB-67s + 127c from KEH

Well, for example at BH photo

used Hasselblad kit, is about 2000-2500 dollars, while a new Mamiya kit can be as low as $1600

It kind of proves my point, good MF used gear is as expensive or even more expensive than new entry-level MF gear
    I'm looking at KEH today, and they have an RB-67 ProS with the 90 F3.8 C lens in excellent condition for $567. I've shot this combo, but I bought a local wedding/seniors shooter's kit which is likely to be far rougher than the KEH item. This is nice gear, and while a bit heavy, it's built for the war, and the 127c and 90c are nice glass. The machinery in these cameras is tough as nails. If you get a good camera from KEH, you get one other thing denied you with that new camera smell, a product that's survived a shake down. That $1000 margin over the new Mamiya will buy a lot of film and, assuming you do your own film work and photofinishing, darkroom supplies. I don't want you to have a break-down either, and that's why I'd steer you towards the used but very tank-like RB67.

Here's a quick glimpse of the body and lens to show just how beefy the mechanics of this camera are.

Please note that I'm not recommending against Hasselblad or Bronica if you see a deal, but I've shot with the RB67, and I believe in its ruggedness, and I know there are good deals to be had from reputable vendors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I would certainly not consider the Mamiya as an entry level system, it in its own right is a good workhorse pro system and many of us have used them for years with no problems.

When speaking about entry level MF gear, I always think of Seagul and such, if you buy a Mamiya, Hassy, Etc your not looking at a entry level gear selection.

Dave
    When I say "entry level" I mean entry to serious MF world, something you can use for pro work, or quality amateur work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I say "entry level" I mean entry to serious MF world, something you can use for pro work, or quality amateur work.
    Ed,

I was just imparting information, ultimately, your the one that is going to have to figure out what works for you, anyway you go, I am sure you will be happy with the bigger negative the MF offers..

Looking forward to seeing your work in the future.

Dave

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin