Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,861   Online: 903

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: How's it doin'?

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    You've said quite a bit in a few words, but you may have brought out some issues I feel worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor
    I'm just trying to get most from my money, since this will be my first and last MF camera.
    That may be your biggest problem. Without a bit of hands-on, you can't really have a foundation for preferences. I'd really advocate getting a cheap Japanese twin lens to start with. That should come cheap enough that you can try shooting square, and find out what you like and don't like about that.

It really comes down to a question:
    if someone offered you a sharper lens and a softer lense, even though you may not use its benefits, which would you chose?
    The trouble is that it's not so simple. By having a criterion of 'sharp enough' you broaden your choices and allow yourself to look at other things a camera or lens can offer. But even in this simple case, if I knew that both lenses met my needs as determined by experience as far as sharpness, I'd go with the cheaper of the two all else being equal. All else is seldom equal.

And like I said, the Zeiss lens is only of of the reasons why I'd like a Hasselblad better.
    Trouble is that without logging hours on various MF lenses, how do you know? Maybe that softer lens has other characteristics which make a better picture to your eyes. I guess my point is that ouside of technical commercial photography there is such a thing as sharp enough.
    Same with cameras, without experience, how do you know what machines click with you ergonmically?

P.s. It's usually those people who don't have talent that are obsessed by gear, I'm of of those...
    Do not dismiss yourself so lightly. My strong hunch is that by leaving the realm of bench racing, you're far more likely to find, develop, and explore that creative side.

Mainly just grab a camera from the majors with the normal and burn some film. Unless you're a commercial shooter with a hopped up art director with funky preconceptions about camera performance breathing down your neck, you'll do just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cao
    That may be your biggest problem. Without a bit of hands-on, you can't really have a foundation for preferences. I'd really advocate getting a cheap Japanese twin lens to start with. That should come cheap enough that you can try shooting square, and find out what you like and don't like about that.
    that would slow me down quite a bit, as in order to get a used yashica
    over here from one of the used camera companies, I'd have to spend almost $500, which is a considerable portion of the price of a Mamiya or Hassie

Trouble is that without logging hours on various MF lenses, how do you know? Maybe that softer lens has other characteristics which make a better picture to your eyes. I guess my point is that ouside of technical commercial photography there is such a thing as sharp enough.
    Same with cameras, without experience, how do you know what machines click with you ergonmically?
    Well you can always soften a sharp lens, you can't sharpen a soft lens, It's a matter of just-in-case-I-need-it-one-day

Do not dismiss yourself so lightly. My strong hunch is that by leaving the realm of bench racing, you're far more likely to find, develop, and explore that creative side.
    I was being a little sarcastic (not that there is no truth in whay I said).

And again, the main thing that attracts me to 501CM is that it is mechanical all the way. That's what I want.
    Before my Minolta SLR I used an old 70's mechanical (exept for the lightemeter) Practica. I wanted more high-tech so I went to a modern SLR, but now I miss that simplicity and direct approach of a simple metal box that takes pictures. I think hasselblad offers the same.
    Of course so does RB67, but out of the two I'd prefer 501CM.

And at the end there is the question of:
    If I had all the money in the world, what would I buy?

The answer to the question is 501 or 503 or 555

So, how often does a guy get to buy his dream gear?

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    that would slow me down quite a bit, as in order to get a used yashica
    over here from one of the used camera companies, I'd have to spend almost $500, which is a considerable portion of the price of a Mamiya or Hassie
    That seems awfully high. Does Croatia have no good used market whatsoever? Do you have no local acquaintances that might help you find something or loan something to try? Are there no shops with gear for hire? I think that spending a big hunk of cash to try MF seems painful. Going slowly isn't as much problem as undo haste.

Well you can always soften a sharp lens, you can't sharpen a soft lens, It's a matter of just-in-case-I-need-it-one-day
    I guess I just have trouble with consideration of one characteristic of a lens to the exclusion of all else.
    My point is that if you're scraping coins together to buy your Hassie kit, then you won't have a materials budget to exercise that sharpness. Good paper is not cheap, and even less so is a good printer if you hire one. What are you going to do with these super sharp pictures?

And at the end there is the question of:
    If I had all the money in the world, what would I buy?
    The trouble is that by your own admission, you don't, so that's not fertile ground to plow.

Don't dream of gear; dream of pictures!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That seems awfully high. Does Croatia have no good used market whatsoever? Do you have no local acquaintances that might help you find something or loan something to try? Are there no shops with gear for hire? I think that spending a big hunk of cash to try MF seems painful. Going slowly isn't as much problem as undo haste.
    This is a small country with an even smaller MF market. There are no stores that even have MF gear in stock because the demant is low.
    It's low because the whole country has about 4.5 million people, most of the photographers that use MF are in the capital, which has only 1 milion peiple.
    Now, how many new MF cameras can you sell per year in a community of about 1 milion people? Other factors don't help either:
    -people around here are more obsessed about switching to digital than they seem
    in america and other parts of the world
    -the standard is lower than in western Europe and US, so not many can affoard a new hasselblad. You'd either have to be rich, or crazy like me.

All this means that nobody stocks MF gear in the whole country. Stores that distribute Mamiya nad Hasselblad first have to get it from Austria or Germany when you order it.

That beings said, trying the gear out is out of question, since you can't even buy it the same day you decide to

The used market is based on internet and paper ads, no companies seeling used stuff that I know about.

I guess I could find a used Yashica around here for about $200, but really, I need every penny. As I said $4000 is a lot around here to spend on photo gear, and I'm probably going to have to split it to 24 months over Amex. It will be a long period of eating shit and buying minimum film and processing. There just is no room there
    for buying a used Yashica for practicing

What are you going to do with these super sharp pictures?
    Well, you see, this is not all just for fun.
    Allthough I'm not a pro, I have been in a situation where I was supose to shoot slides for making a big poster for someone, but optics failed me most of the time, even more than grain from 35mm did.
    Now I want not only to upgrade to a bigger image area, I also want better optics for ocasional print jobs. I don't want some kid with a digital SLR making a sharper job on that than I can.
    I'm not a pro, but want to be able to do a 100% pro job, because that's what I do from time to time too.

The trouble is that by your own admission, you don't, so that's not fertile ground to plow.
    Well, I think, this time I just might be able to buy my dream gear.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin