Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,258   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

multiple-exposure capable TLR camera reccomendation?

hi - first post, so pls. pardon my newbieness (or is that newbieosity?)

i have been shooting medium format for a while on a Holga, and while i do love what this toy camera does for me, i want to be able to step up to a TLR camera so i can have actual visual focus control, exposure control, etc. that the Holga lacks. having said that, what is critical to me is the ability for multiple exposures. i have been doing my research and its surprisingly hard to find out with any clearly definitive answers which inexpensive (sub-$100 Ebay prices) TLR cameras have multiple exposure functionality built-in.

Looks like the

Yashica D
    Mamiya C220
    Mamiya C33
    Mamiya C330

will do M-E, as well as what i assume are many, many, many other cameras. i was looking for any verification of this functionality in these cameras, as well as any other recommendations anyone has. while in an ideal world a $30 camera would have exceptional optics and picture quality, i am a lot more interested in price and functionality than the actual quality of the images itself (i shoot 95% experimental/non-representational images, so perfect quality is really not that important)

thanks for your help!

(i should mention that if anyone is selling an appropriate camera, please let me know - im looking!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an MPP TLR at home that allows multi exposure. From memory it works fine, but I haven't fired the shutter for a few years. I could dig it out for you? If you are interested you pay the postage from the UK and donate US $30 to APUG.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you're not interested in picture quality and price is important then don't forget the Lubitel It's incredibly easy to do multiple exposures with. In fact it's often hard not to!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mamiyas let you override the anti double exposure system, but it's there when you do want it.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just won a Yashica A on ebay for a whopping $15. Keep the three element Yashikor lens stopped down to f8 or less and the image quality is very good. Not up to some of the four element lenses out there, but probably as good as some of the lesser quality four element lenses (Yashimar, Luxamar). I have a Yashica D with Yashinon lenses, and when stopped down, there is not much difference between the two lenses. There is an image in my gallery taken with the Yashica A called "winter" if you want to have a look. The scans really don't do justice to the prints.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Mamiya C330f and making multiple exposures is a doddle. You can use the override 'switch' on the side or (as I do) just cock the shutter manually by pressing down the cocking lever. So, that's my recommendation: get yourself a Mamiya TLR, preferably one of the later models. They also have interchangeable lenses!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All older TLR's that require you to cock the shutter manually rather than automatically through the wind mechanism should allow for multiple exposures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    I have an MPP TLR at home that allows multi exposure. From memory it works fine, but I haven't fired the shutter for a few years. I could dig it out for you? If you are interested you pay the postage from the UK and donate US $30 to APUG.
    which model? what comes with it? etc...

thanks for the other recommendations everyone. i have been watching a few Yashica D and a couple of Mamiya c220 on Ebay - just have to wait and see what's what.

My understanding of the Lubitel is that its essentially a Holga in a TLR enclosure - so similar issues with leaks, quality, etc... all the stuff i have in a Holga (which as we know is part of what makes a Holga a good thing). so while i do like the option of exposure/focus/etc that it does offer, i think if i am going to a TLR i may as well get something a step up from there. tho knowing my propensity for buying cameras i don't need but just have to buy anyway, im sure i will end up with one eventually

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Shecky. I have an Argus Argoflex EF that allows multiple exposures. In
    fact there is no mechanism to prevent it. The shutter is not connected with
    the winder. The only drawback from my perspective is that it takes 620 film.
    It is a rugged, all-metal body TLR from the late 40s; and is usually inexpensive
    on ebay. Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Double exposures and multiple exposures are very easy with the Mamiya 220.

Plus, it is a very dependable camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin