Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1064

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RB67 "C" lenses and Regular Lenses?

I'm looking to buy another lens for my RB67 and, other than age, I'm not clear on what the differences are in the "c" and non "c" lenses are. I've read numerous posts here on APUG where someone will say the "C" lenses are better, but there is never a reason given as to why they are better. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure about the 67, in the 645 line the C only designated multi coating from back when it wasn't the norm, new lenses are designated N, but from what I've read, it's only a cosmetic change in the lens barrel and the optics are still the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is it worth the extra money for the multi coating?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read arguements that say always go with coating and others that say coatings are no longer needed as much now since everyone shoots with filters that are already coated.
    If I remember correctly, the non C had problems with light flares. The coating it supposed to almost eliminate (or at least reduce) this.
    After looking at a lot of lens for my other camera (Nikon 35mm), and they were ALL coated, I figured, you can't go wrong with it. I doubt it would hurt the final image, and the $ difference isn't really all that much anyway.
    Myself, I bought the "C" lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    you're right, its not that much of a difference in money. i just wanted to reassure myself that my money was being spent wisely. thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thing to think about ...

In general, the "C" lenses are newer than the non "C" versions.

Given that the RB67 lenses include shutters, it may be an advantage to buy a newer lens, as compared to an older one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    Not sure about the 67, in the 645 line the C only designated multi coating from back when it wasn't the norm, new lenses are designated N, but from what I've read, it's only a cosmetic change in the lens barrel and the optics are still the same.
    That's not correct with the RB67: some lens' design has been radically changed from non-C to C type. I'll be glad to check on my tables at home if you need some specific information.

I hope it's clear for everyone that non-C lenses are coated as well. C are "multi-coated". It's on the end user to decide wether "multi-coating" makes such a big difference compared to "normal coating", but both are coated.
    Last edited by Marco Gilardetti; 02-16-2006 at 05:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another potential problem of the non "C" lenses that I have read about. The older lens diapragm may cause a problem with the pro s and sd as, it was related by the photographer, these lens diapragms are stiffer than the s and sd's causing stress on the lens mechanics and possible premature failure.

I have a 65mm non "C" and have had no probs in the year I have used it. I merely had to attach a spacer ring (friction fit) and voila. Works fine. (The spacer ring is required to stop potential light leaks on the SD.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin