Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my Yashica TLR from lathearn on the 'Bay and it cost me about a hundred plus postage. He doesn't have any for sale right now, but you may want to send him an email to ask him when his next batch is due (http://members.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI....serid=lathearn). He repairs them, and sell them with a light meter and a case. Good thing is that he always put all his items as Buy it now, because frankly who wants to bother bidding too much on a Yashica?

In case you're wondering, I use the one with the Yashikor 3-elements lens and it gives real nice images when enlarged at 11x11. Definitely above the the Lomo category.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in a similar position when I was looking for my camera. I considered going for a new Seagull but I though I'd see if I could pick up a cheep TLR on eBay just so I could experiment with the format first.

I got lucky and found a Yashica D with a 4-element Yashinon lens in near perfect condition for just £20. I've coupled it with a Western light meter to give me a complete and very usable medium format kit for £35!

The money I've saved will go towards a more capable medium format system once I've out grown the Yashica.

Perhaps I just got lucky, but all in all I'm very pleased I went down the second hand route rather than buying a new Seagull.

See here for some information on the Yashica D

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I started with a Seagull 4B-1 which developed shutter problems shortly after the warranty expired. I've heard of quality and reliability issues from others as well, although some people experience no problems at all and are satisfied. Optically I thought the lens was just fine. My opinion is that careful selection on the used market of a Minolta, Yashica, Mamiya, Rolleicord, or Ricoh can give you as much chance of success, and possibly with a more established network of repair / service people if something should go wrong. I ended up with a Mamiya C330f and think it is an outstanding camera.

Good luck finding something you like.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with the Seagulls are that they are renowned for poor quality control and this doesn't necessarily surface within the first few months. You may be lucky with yours or you may not. But they are no longer as cheap as they were and for the price of one you could get three secondhand (or more) TLR's. You might consider a Rolleicord as they go for less than the Rolleiflex and there are still plenty of people who can service them. Or any of the makes suggested by JJC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quality control on the Seagulls is said to be better now which may explain the increase in price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a Yashicamat (with yashinon) in near mint condition off Ebay for £60. I also own a Mamiya C330f which I got for £180 from www.ffordes.com - I notice they have a C33 with 80mm f2.8 in good condition for sale at £89.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks!!

Thanks for the words of wisdom, folks. I will weigh my options carefully, and I'll let you all know what I get. Thanks again.
    Jason

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another important piece of Seagull advice: don't change the shutter speeds (especially past the 30-15 boundary) with the shutter cocked. I had to straighten a part in the shutter on mine that had apparently been bent by doing this; I suspect this failure (and the same part breaking instead of just bending) may be behind most of the reported "sudden, unexpected" shutter failures, at least of older Seagull models. Mine was a 4-B, probably 30+ years old, however; no idea if the newer shutters are similar...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had nothing but troubles with my seagull, and I got it new. Shutter getting stuck, timer sticking, dust and fiber underneath the brightscreen, etc. A total dissapointment.

Go get yourself a Rolleicord. Then get a CLA for it and have a Brightscreen put in. You'll spent about as much as for that cheap POS seagull, but unlike a seagull, it wont cr@p all over you.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Got one. Thanks Gang!!

The guy on ebay that was recomended to me turned out to be great to deal with. I got a Yashika 635 with a meter, filters, a 28mm for my cannon ae-1, and a new bag for $175. The guy was great. Thanks again everyone!!!
    Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin