Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,006   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

specific seagull advice for a newbie

Hi, all. First post. I have seen some seagull comments, however, I am hoping to hear from someone with first-hand pros and cons. I am getting my first 6x6 and I am on budget. I could roll the dice on a used, but I'd rather not. The Seagull 4b-1 was recommended to me. I was pleased to see the 1 year warranty on it. I know the 4b1 is as basic as it gets, however I am fine with that as I am a bit of a luddite anyhow. Any comments?
    Thanks all!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I've used a Seagull 5b (or whatever the first model higher fromt he 4b is, its been a while ) and I have nothing but praises for it. The 3 element lens (the same as on the 4b) was very sharp, the focusing screen was very bright and easy to focus, and everything felt really smooth.

Keep in mind that I only had the camera on my hands for a few days (it was the college's property), though.

With a warranty, I can't see why not get it. From what I've seen, most people who complain about seagulls have used the older models, but I'd still stick around for another comment or two.

BTW, welcome to APUG.

André

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek76
    Hi, all. First post. I have seen some seagull comments, however, I am hoping to hear from someone with first-hand pros and cons. I am getting my first 6x6 and I am on budget. I could roll the dice on a used, but I'd rather not. The Seagull 4b-1 was recommended to me. I was pleased to see the 1 year warranty on it. I know the 4b1 is as basic as it gets, however I am fine with that as I am a bit of a luddite anyhow. Any comments?
    Thanks all!!!
    Jason, don't buy a 6x6. Hold out for a 4x5. You handled my crown graphic and drooled all over it. You know you want it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bikegeek76-

You could pick up a "user" Ziess Ikon Ikoflex with a very sharp Tessar lens in a Compur-Rapid shutter for a fraction of the cost of a new Seagull. The Ikoflex will produce photographs of stunning quality and no doubt remain usable (even with its advanced age) many years longer than the Chinese knock-off.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    On photo.net a number of people stated that they had reliablity problems with the Seagull TLR. I have not used one myself. I would recommend a used Yashica or Minolta TLR.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Mamiya C220 or Mamiya C330 would be my reccomendation, but I have had my C330 since the mid 1970s, without problem, so I might be biased

Shooter
    35mm

Seagull is fine by me

I've had a Seagull TLR for about six years now, and it's never given me any problems. It's the model with the red window in the back, not the new crank model. The screen is brighter than my old Yashica-D, and the threaded cable release and hot shoe synch are great features. Unlike the Yashicas, the Seagull has no saftey button on the winding knob, so you must be careful to not accidentally "wind on" before you are ready. It's a good camera to take with you when you want to shoot 6x6, but don't want to worry about damaging/loosing a nicer machine. Ebay has a lot of Yashicas you might consider. Finding a nice used TLR that is clean, cheap, and fully functional is not always easy. Two out of three isn't so bad though, if you're game.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks, guys.

I feel like I may run the risk of getting screwed if I buy used(Bad shutter timing, fungus, other obscure to a newbie camera problem ect...)I looked at some of you guys' recomendations on ebay, and they were nice if they are in the shape promised, however I don't have the cash to take a chance. The other recomendation from another friend was a Kiev. I understand that I may be opening a whole other can of worms with that one...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek76
    I feel like I may run the risk of getting screwed if I buy used(Bad shutter timing, fungus, other obscure to a newbie camera problem ect...)I looked at some of you guys' recomendations on ebay, and they were nice if they are in the shape promised, however I don't have the cash to take a chance. The other recomendation from another friend was a Kiev. I understand that I may be opening a whole other can of worms with that one...
    You are about as likely to get a broken Kiev as a used TLR on ebay - probably more likely - and the repair would not be easier or cheaper and it might be a broken Kiev again in a couple of weeks. There isn't anything wrong as such with a Seagull if you get a new on warranty one and the warranty extends on replacement.

Depending on stuff, a used Mimya TLR bought from KEH may be a better buy (though read the specs and description), especially if you ever buy a second lens or want to use 220 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 4A-107 which has a Tessar type 4 element lens. I have been happy with it and have not encountered any problems. I would not recommend the other models as they have only a triplet lens and are not very sharp. But then the early Yashicas had only a triplet lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin