Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,631   Online: 689

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Stacking Neutral Density Filters

I have several neutral density filters that require various lengths of additional exposure. For example one filter requires 2 stops of additional exposure and another filter requires 6 stops of additional exposure.
    I want to try and stack these filters when exposing black and white film so that I can get long exposures - like 1 minute real time - which is a lot longer when considering reciprocity effect - but if I have an accurate combined filter factor then the experiments start. Has anyone got any experience? Do I add or multiply filter factors? Other sources of information? Thanks. Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure what you are asking for here ... but when I stack filters (usually a 3 stop nd, a 2 stop nd and a 2 stop orange, I multiply the stop values together : 3 x 2 x 2 = 12 so I give + 12 stops then apply reciprocity compensation as necessary - hope that helps?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My understanding is that the factors are multiplied. I have not used this myself so I cannot say this works from personal experience though...

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matherto
    I have several neutral density filters that require various lengths of additional exposure. For example one filter requires 2 stops of additional exposure and another filter requires 6 stops of additional exposure.
    I want to try and stack these filters when exposing black and white film so that I can get long exposures - like 1 minute real time - which is a lot longer when considering reciprocity effect - but if I have an accurate combined filter factor then the experiments start. Has anyone got any experience? Do I add or multiply filter factors? Other sources of information? Thanks. Michael
    Filter factors are added. In other words if you used the combination of your 2 stop ND and your 6 stop ND the combined effect would be 8 stops of ND and not 12 stops of ND.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I thought you added the change in f/stop or multiplied the filter factor.

for example:

filter A is 2x factor, which is a +1 stop compensation.
    filter B is 4x factor, which is a +2 stop compensation.

filter A + filter B = +3 stops combined
    -or-
    filter A + filter B = 8x factor (which is a +3 stop adjustment)

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's a good site for reference...

http://www.fineart-photography.com/bwfilter.html

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello matherto,

I hope this doesn't add to you confusion but I just thought I'd add my two penneth.

A 1stop Neutral Density filter is often designated as, for example ND2, meaning that it doubles the length of the exposure, A 2stop as ND4, 3stops as ND8 and so on: they can also be shown as 0.30, 0.60, and 0.90 as well.
    If you use a 2stop and a 3stop together the resulting increase is 5stops ( 2 + 3 ), if you take the factor e.g. nd 4 + nd 8 then if you multiply the factors ( 4 * 8 ) = 32 the number you end up with is the multiplier for the exposure without filtration.

For example: say you calculate the exposure as 1 sec at f8 without filters

1 sec + 2 stops = 1 -> 2 - >4 secs ( nd 4 )
    4 secs + 3 stops = 4 -> 8 -> 16 -> 32 secs ( nd 8 )

or to put it another way : 1 sec at f8 multiplied by ( 4 * 8 ) = 32 secs = 5stops

Does this make sense to you ? hope it helps Daniel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think this confusion is common among new filter users or people who don't let the TTL meter handle it all (a hope and a prayer on that one...).

Sometimes the effect of a filter is stated as "Increase exposure by X times" e.g. 2 times, and another place something might say "open lens 1 f-stop". When the exposure effects are given the first way, they are multiplied for multiple filters. When given as f-stops, they are added for multiple filters.

So, for example, let's say you have 2 filters together. If they say "increase exposure by 2 times and 4 times', respectively, you would MULTIPLY your indicated exposure by 2 * 4 = 8. If they were given as 'open lens 1 stop and 2 stops', respectively, they would be ADDED and you'd get 1+2 stops = 3 stops to open up.

Multiplying your indicated exposure by 8 or adjusting by 3 stops is the same thing. It's not really appropriate here to go into WHY that is true, but the f-stop system could be called an alternate mathematical system to get similar results more easily.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Richard

Images
    Randy,

NDs have numbers that are given as the log of the attenuation, so a 1 stop (2x) adjustment has a filter factor of 0.3. 2 stops is 0.6, 3 stops is 0.9, etc. A 3.0 ND is 10 stops. It is the logs that you must add. Also, as you pointed out, add the compensation.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so, in multiplying my f stops, I am over exposing? I 've not really noticed that I am - they always seem to be pretty well exposed to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin